Does Anyone Really Eat Fondant?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 4:44am by milkmaid42

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 16

I'm agonizing over whether or not I really should put time into learning fondant. I'm just a hobbyist anyway and what I want is what people will really eat and like - not just what looks flawless. Do people actually like to eat fondant or is it mainly used for looks?

Thanks - your comments will really help me make a decision!

15 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 16

Yes! I actually like fondant.And I really only make fondant cakes now. It will take your decorating to a level way beyond where you could go with BC. I think there is no question that it's worth it. I'm a hobbyist too and I make my own MMF (Rhonda's ultimate) and there are other tasty brands such as Satin Ice you can buy. The sweetness can be toned down with lemon (in Rhonda's) and with ganache underneath etc.. Some people peel it off, but others eat it (or at least some of it). But I would encourage you to give it a go - you won't be sorry!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 5:15am
post #3 of 16

Why are you agonizing? That's silly! Learning fondant is simply another facet of this art.

There was just another thread about this a few days ago. In my opinion, there is horrible tasting fondant (Wilton), bad tasting fondant (Satin Ice), decent tasting fondant (Fonderific), good tasting fondant (Masa Ticino), and fantastic tasting fondant (homemade, either MFF or MMF).

So yes, if you use good stuff, people eat it and love it (ok, love is probably a strong word, but they like it a lot). If you use the less expensive stuff or the cheapest stuff you can find, then not so much.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:26am
post #4 of 16

I agree with FromScratch.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 16

Go for it. I am only a hobby baker but I love to try new things all the time. I love the look of fondant but have only used mmf to cover cakes. Sometimes I buy a small pkg of Wilton's to mix with gumpaste for flowers if I don't have leftover mmf. The mmf is very tasty and you get a nice smooth finish on the cake. The cakes I have covered in fondant most people ate the fondant and did like it. I'm going to try the cream cheese fondant from this website on my next cake. Everyone says it's hard to work with but the taste must be awesome. We'll see. It's for a family member so if it doesn't look perfect it would matter (except to me) all that much.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 16

If I use Satin Ice, no one eats it, but if I make MMF EVERYONE eats it up. But really, it's all about taking your decorating to a new level. And I have seen some buttercream cakes that lok like they are covered in fondant, so it's okay to stick with that as well. BUT that fondant looking buttercream takes true pratice and is a true skill to achieve.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 16

Great - thanks for the reassurance!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 16

I started making Jennifer Dontz Chocolate fondant and it is soooooooo good. At my daughter's party people where not sure because some fondant are horrible but they loved Jennifer's fondant. You just need to find one you can stand behind knowing you like it.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 16

I used to have to keep an eye on my son to make sure he didn't eat my fondant before I could get it on a cake. Now I only use modelling chocolate to cover cakes. It tastes a lot better - - the chocolate tastes like tootsie rolls - - and it's easier to flavor and color.

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 16

Wildgirl...I hear ya! I have bought and made my own fondant, but have yet to completely cover a cake in it. I use it for details on my cakes, but never to cover. Nor have I ever had anyone to ask me for a fondant cake. I may get brave and try it sometime, but I will probably just peel it off and eat the cake.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 16

My sister sometimes comes over just to eat my fondant. LoL. I use Michele Foster's Fondant recipe. The only one in my family who doesn't eat it is a SIL who has issues with eating too much sugar.

A lot of it also depends on how much you put on too. A lot of people put a crumb coat of frosting and then a thicker layer of fondant. I tried that, and personally, I think it made the cake seem drier and not that great. I took off my own fondant that time. So yes, the cake will probably look prettier and have sharper edges doing this, but won't taste as good.

So I put on a regular amount of frosting and a thinner layer of fondant, and it is just delicious! All the cakes in my gallery are made this way, except the ones with ganache. And even then, I still use regular amount of ganache under it.

I love using fondant and have never had complaints from family except when I've put it on too thick and they still eat it, just not all of it. =)

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 16

Most of my cakes are smoothed buttercream. However, I have to say, we use Wilton for modeling things because it dries faster. We use ice n easy or Jennifer Dontz's chocolate fondant if it will be covering a cake and will be eaten. I have lots of people who love the taste of the chocolate fondant but just don't want to pay the price. My husband can not help me with it because his hands are too hot! I love working with it! I have yet to try MMF but I hear many great things about it. It is worth learning. As many people have already said, it will take you to a whole new level and it is fun to work with!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 16

I think some people think that putting on fondant means backing off on the amount of BC, and that's not a good idea. They goal is to have just as much bc under the fondant, as you would have did the cake have no fondant at all. I roll mine 1/16th of an inch most times, I use a killer recipe that I would dare anyone to say didn't taste delicious, and I use a healthy amount of bc under it.

That said, some people just do not like to chew thru fondant, and I totally get that. No matter what it tastes like.

But some day, those of us who keep on using good fondant will eventually win over the people who say "meh, I'll just use this crap since everyone thinks fondant is nasty anyways." Someday.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 16

Interesting views on the fondant pros and cons but in the end you have to decide what you are looking to make and who it's for. My 11 year old nephew will eat a ton of fondant (and have a stomach ache a short time later) but not everyone shares that view. I am a hobby baker and certain types of cakes NEED fondant to look good! But a lot of my cakes are not fondant, which I am also really proud of because of their design - like my bushel of leaves cake and my french fries cake. I made a monkey cake which was one part fondant and one part buttercream and got the best of both worlds! That is the beauty of making your own cakes from your own designs! Enjoy!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:42am
post #15 of 16

I've tried numerous brands of pre-made fondant, and a number of fondant recipes. But I find my favorite, by far, is
Michelle Foster's Fondant. I use the white chocolate variation and usually add Lorann's cheesecake flavoring. I'm able to roll it very thinly with the use of The Mat. When applied over white chocolate ganache it has made "fondant converts" over the most vocal fondant hater. I find with a ganache base, I can get sharper edges and the whole task is much easier than with butter cream. I urge people to at least give it a try before they automatically pull it off and love the look of surprise when they find it actually tastes good! icon_biggrin.gif

Jan

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:44am
post #16 of 16

I've tried numerous brands of pre-made fondant, and a number of fondant recipes. But I find my favorite, by far, is
Michelle Foster's Fondant. I use the white chocolate variation and usually add Lorann's cheesecake flavoring. I'm able to roll it very thinly with the use of The Mat. When applied over white chocolate ganache it has made "fondant converts" over the most vocal fondant hater. I find with a ganache base, I can get sharper edges and the whole task is much easier than with butter cream. I urge people to at least give it a try before they automatically pull it off and love the look of surprise when they find it actually tastes good! icon_biggrin.gif

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%