Thoughts On This Flavor Combination....

Decorating By kello Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 11:15pm by debbief

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:58am
post #1 of 7

I have a request for a coconut lime cake with whipped chocolate ganache. I have had coconut and choc. and I've have key lime pie with chocolate, but not coconut and lime cake together with chocolate. It is for her daughter's cake as per her request, but she (the mother) is unsure if this is a good choice. Thoughts?

6 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 5:25am
post #2 of 7

Lime+coconut sounds fabulous to me. And how can the addition of chocolate be bad? icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:24am
post #3 of 7

It sounds fine. Make a coconut cake filled with lime curd or curd/buttercream combo. Frost with frosting or ganache. Perfect combination.

kello Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 7

I'm going to be the lone dissenter here. Are you considering bittersweet, semi sweet or milk chocolate? None of those sound a good combination with lime - to me . Coconut, yes, lime??? How about white chocolate which is sweeter to compensate for the acidity & tartness of the lime and the sweetness of the coconut?

kello Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 7

I've had chocolate dipped key lime pie. I didn't think it would taste good, but I was surprised that it wasn't too bad at all. I just have never had a combo of lime and coconut with chocolate. They would like a semi-sweet ganache as the filling. I'm going to have to taste this one and just go from there I guess. LOL

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 7

I'd also go with the white chocolate ganache. Just seems like too many flavors competing against each other. White chocolate doesn't have a strong flavor, it's just sweet, so it could balance out the tartness of the lime. That's just my 2 cents icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%