Freezing A Completed Cake

Decorating By HootersAlicia Updated 28 Dec 2011 , 9:18pm by Annabakescakes

HootersAlicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HootersAlicia Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I'm sure this has been covered before, but with the updates happening on the site I'm having a hard time looking through old forums.

I have a friend who would like a cake for Christmas but I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks so she was wondering if it would keep if refrigerated or frozen. Can I freeze a completed cake? We haven't gone into any details yet so it could be any kind of frosting, filling and/or fondant. The big question is will it work, and if yes, how?

Thanks for your help!

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:41am
post #2 of 6

Box completed cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran & a layer of foil. If it will fit, place in large garbage bag over it, tape shut & place in freezer.

To defrost, place fully boxed & wrapped cake in fridge 24 hrs. before serving. A few hours before serving place fully boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp. Right before display/serving, cut away wrappings. Unbox cake & serve.

Works perfectly.

Rae

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 6

I have frozen cakes before but not after decorated. I am gong to have to try this sometime. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 6

I have frozen cakes for a week decorated. They turned out great!

josiejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josiejoe Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 6

a very interesting question, just to add my own does that mean a fondant covered cake can be frozen?? it would solve many of my problems as many of my relatives have birthdays in the same week!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, fondant can be done this way as well. I did it with a fondant covered cake that had a 50/50 gum paste bow on it as well. I had the cake order for a few weeks and the mother was so excited and I really wanted to go to my grandparents' 60th anniversary party that was 3 states away. We decided to go last minute and I did the cake, boxed it, wrapped with many layers of plastic wrap, put in an unscented garbage bag and froze. My mom went in 24 hours before the cake was due, and set it on the counter and left. She came 20 minutes early and cut it out of the plastic and opened the box and it was perfect. Btw, I froze it 2 days at 20° below zero.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%