Toba Garrett's Glace Icing - Some Questions

Baking By augurey Updated 13 Dec 2011 , 2:45am by cangela4re

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 4

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but for the life of me I'm having a hard time finding them (and can't remember if they even answer my question).

I'm going to be using this in a couple of weeks for sugar cookies. I know that you need to outline the cookie before filling; obviously two different consistencies.

1. The recipe made as is, is this the consistency for outlining or for filling?

2. When adding colors (Wilton or Americolor), should it start off at a thicker consistency (when using for outlining)?

3. I'm assuming that to get a stiffer consistency, it would be similar to American BC in which you would add more powdered sugar?

4. To thin it down, would you use more milk/water (as in American b/c) or would you add more corn syrup?

5. What does corn syrup do to the recipe? Is it just for the shininess of the finish?

6. Approximately how many sugar cookies would this ice? I realize it depends on the size of each individual cookie, so you may get more or less, but what's a general area? I'm planning on making 7-8 dozen.

7. When coloring icing for stiff and thin consistency, would it be easier to make one batch for outlining and one for filling? Or should you go back and forth between the two? As I'm making so much, I'm definitely not waiting for them all to be done before I start icing, so I can't really outline all and then thin down for filling. Any suggestions on this?

Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions for using this?

3 replies
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4

Im new to this site (not to baking/decorating in general), but I will give you my input where I can until some of the more experienced members chime in....

1. The recipe made as is, is this the consistency for outlining or for filling?

Looking at the ingredients and the title of this recipe, this looks more like a glaze type of icing rather than one you would pipe with (meaning it hardens to the touch but might not have enough body for piping). I could be totally wrong but I would definitely do a google/CC search on this recipe and look to see what others have achieved with it to make sure it will work the way you want it to.

2. When adding colors (Wilton or Americolor), should it start off at a thicker consistency (when using for outlining)?

I usually ask myself "is the coloring/flavoring thinner than what Im putting it into?" If so, then most likely you will need to thicken to compensate...especially if you use water based colors and have to use a lot to achieve a darker color. This is also subjective to how big of a batch you're making etc. but I imagine that using gel colors would require fewer adjustments

3. I'm assuming that to get a stiffer consistency, it would be similar to American BC in which you would add more powdered sugar?

That I cant answer because I dont imagine this recipe ever getting to the consistency of buttercream

4. To thin it down, would you use more milk/water (as in American b/c) or would you add more corn syrup?

I would use milk/water but as a rule of thumb, do it in very small amounts until you get the consistency you want and I would wait to judge the consistency until AFTER youve colored it

5. What does corn syrup do to the recipe? Is it just for the shininess of the finish?

I would imagine its used as an emulsifier and thickener as well as for the finish since it tends to add a little sheen

6. Approximately how many sugar cookies would this ice? I realize it depends on the size of each individual cookie, so you may get more or less, but what's a general area? I'm planning on making 7-8 dozen.

This I cant answer since I rarely ice cookies in volume

7. When coloring icing for stiff and thin consistency, would it be easier to make one batch for outlining and one for filling? Or should you go back and forth between the two? As I'm making so much, I'm definitely not waiting for them all to be done before I start icing, so I can't really outline all and then thin down for filling. Any suggestions on this?

Yes, I think it would be easier to make a separate batch to the consistency you want for each (filling and outlining) so you can work simultaneously UNLESS you are using more than 1 color...in which case I would make one batch of the stiffer consistency for each color, do all my outlining and then thin each batch to use as filling so that I wouldnt have to play around with trying to achieve the same color for the filling since it would require adjusting your coloring amounts after using an unknown quantity of the icing on outlining.

Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions for using this?[/quote]

Best of luck to you! HTH and be sure to let us know how they turn out!

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for your suggestions cangela4re icon_smile.gif

I think I will need to outline all and then thin down. Hopefully I can come up with a good system for this.

I'm very anxious to try it as I've heard a lot of good things about it.

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 2:45am
post #4 of 4

No problem, Im a hobbyist too and I hate to see someone needing help and not getting any replies even though I might not have had the answer to all your questions, I hope it helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%