Question On Disco Dust?

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 8:17pm by MikeRowesHunny

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 8

I adore the look sprinkled on chocolates....is it safe to eat. I have read so many article it has my head spinning...says you hve to eat 42 containers to get sick? I am using it for a children's candy class and just want to be sure?

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 8

It is finely ground plastic.
I assume it would NOT be o.k. for children, the old or those with health problems.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 2:22am
post #3 of 8

I don't care what it looks like............I don't want PLASTIC granules sprinkled on my food

And I most certainly DO NOT want to encourage children to think that it's OK to use/eat, either icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

If I'm teaching children, I want to show them how to use good quality, completely EDIBLE products.........not to default to stealing Mommy's scrapbooking glitter to dress up their food.

Please, purchase some edible food glitter and let them have a good time with that knowing that it's the better, edible alternative.

Rae

CandyLady Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:11am
post #4 of 8

Ouch! it is not scrapbooking glitter I am using....why would you say that? I have been doing candy for at least 10 years now...I purchased it next to the lustre dust we all use on our cakes/cookies....they had done a chocolate poinsetta sucker and used it on the sucker...sorry...and thanks for the input. Pat in OHIO

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:52am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

Ouch! it is not scrapbooking glitter I am using....why would you say that? I have been doing candy for at least 10 years now...I purchased it next to the lustre dust we all use on our cakes/cookies....they had done a chocolate poinsetta sucker and used it on the sucker...sorry...and thanks for the input. Pat in OHIO

It IS basically scrapbooking glitter...........it's fine grain plastic glitter.
You can compare it to the cheap stuff at Michaels in size & color. It is non-toxic, but it's not edible.
It doesn't matter where they put it in the shop, or what they put it on, it's still plastic (some colors contain traces of metals like aluminum.....)

I don't know what idiot thought of putting this on food one day because they didn't know the difference between non-toxic and edible. Perhaps it was someone who likes to decorate food with school paste and crayons..............both non-toxic, but not edible.

Harsh, YES! True, YES!

I'm a harpy about this issue because I HATE having to explain to potential clients why I won't sprinkle plastic glitter on food.
Rae

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 4:47am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

NON TOXIC GLITTERS (NON-TOXIC - not harmful) The Sparkle Range

Non toxic glitters can be used on decorations that are easily removed prior to eating. This product can not be classed as edible as this would mean it is digestible and is classed as food stuffs, therefore we simply have to label it as Non-Toxic

Please be wary of other companies promoting similar items as "Edible"

...from the manufacturer's website here: http://www.rainbowdust.co.uk/page_info.php?pages_id=1&pages_name=Food%20Safety&osCsid=3e55f255e552255f20e79af777b0249a

Their website used to state that it was harmless if eaten, that it would just pass through undigested, but looks like they've revised their official standpoint on it (probably to cover themselves from a legal standpoint more than because of any real risk)

I would suggest you make your own mind up on it. Personally I have no problems using it, but generally only use it on decorations that can be removed before consumption.

CandyLady Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 8

I do appreciate your kindness Coral3.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 8

I use it on virtually every cake I make (except maybe wedding cakes), and have done so for about 6 years. Never had any problems. But then I also use & eat dragees too thumbs_up.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%