Smbc Flavoring ?

Baking By MollyHammond Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 12:40am by tsal

MollyHammond Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 7

How much flavoring can be added to SMBC before it changes the consistency? example-flavorings, jams, fruit

6 replies
rlowry03 Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 7

I used 1/3 cup of strawberry puree in a batch the other day (7 egg whites, 3 stick butter) and it seemed just slightly thinner than it did before I added it, but it still piped beautifully and held it's shape.

lrlt2000 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:25am
post #3 of 7

I always seem to have trouble with breakdown/separation whenever I add enough to get a strong flavor. I'm interested to see if anyone has any tips for how to remedy that!

kisamarie Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 7

I was wondering when trying to Make chocolate SMBC, at what point is it best to add the chocolate and the cocoa powder without messing up the consistency? I know it's fickle and can be ruined if done in the wrong proportions and at the wrong time.... Any feedback would be super helpful!

pmarks0 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 7

Check out FromScratchSF's blog post on SMBC. It's a great resource and I believe she talks about flavourings plus answers questions in the comments.

As for chocolate, I think she uses melted bittersweet chocolate. I usuallky fold in chocolate ganache. I'm not sure that cocoa is the way to go with an SMBC.

Edited to add:

Oops, forgot the link.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

KoryAK Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 7

A lot. Use the whip to incorporate it, not the paddle. If you need to add more than the SMBC can take, then you need a stronger flavoring agent. Hero Compounds are excellent for mixing with SMBC instead of jams.

tsal Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 12:40am
post #7 of 7

i add 3/4 cup of strawberry jam to my smbc and it still maintains its consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%