How Can I Achieve A Fluffy Icing Mixed With Pineapple?

Baking By licia Updated 23 Jun 2014 , 10:30pm by DianeB29

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I would like to make a white cake with a light icing that has pineapple in it. I made the 7 minute icing w/ corn syrup and folded in drained pineapple with it, refigerated it. When I went to icing the cake it was not as stable and I wanted it to be. My G-ma used to make this cake all the time, but she has passed and no one knows how she got it the consistency she did. Also, she also put the icing on an inch or inch and half thick between each layer, I hope you guys know icon_smile.gif Thank you much

3 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 4

Pineapple has an enzyme that causes breakdown in other ingredients - which is why your icing wasn't as stable. You can add drained, canned pineapple (use a cheesecloth to strain and "wring" it out) to a cream cheese icing and an old fashioned American buttercream that calls for butter/shortening and powdered sugar.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 4

This is a wonderful frosting, but it doesn't hold up. Serve it the same day it is made. By the second day it sort of disintegrates.

Pineapple Frosting

¼ c. butter
¼ c. shortening
3 c. sifted powdered sugar
8 ½ oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. grated lemon rind

Cream shortening and butter; gradually add 3 c. powdered sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in pineapple, salt, vanilla and lemon rind. Beat until fluffy.

DianeB29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeB29 Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

My mother use to make a really light and fluffy white frosting with crushed pineapple in it. I am going to try the recipe from the lady in Indiana, is sounds right. I remember she used shortening and butter, but more shortening. This frosting isn't too sweet, but it sure was good. Can't say as I know about how stable it was, because the cake never lasted longer than a day. : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%