Should Alarm Bells Be Ringing?

Business By lissyUK Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 12:10pm by lissyUK

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 7

I'm relatively new to the business side of things, having taken a long time to get properly set up and legal etc (and had a baby!).

I've had an enquiry from a woman who wanted 100 cupcakes. I offered to do them for £2 (Would usually charge £2.50 for what she wanted) as it was a decent size order. However, she said it was too expensive and she'd had a cheaper quote. I said very nicely - oh great, I'm afraid I can't discount more than that, I use premium ingredients and don't get any economies of scale because everything is done by hand and wished her luck with her event.

Well she obviously didn't have another cheaper quote because she started selling the party to me - how many important people would be there and what a good opportunity it would be for a start up like me. And actually I should think about my pricing because £2 was a lot as THEY'RE ONLY CUPCAKES!

She's sending me pictures of what she wants, but I just get the impression she'll be unhappy with whatever I do because I won't budge any further on the price.

As a new business, it's tempting to take every order going, but I'm nervous about this customer - she's known to an aquaintance and was pretty mean when she didn't get her own way at a trade fair.

Would welcome advice. Am I asking for trouble or just looking for problems where there aren't any?

6 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 7

I'd say go with your gut feeling. Your prices are just that, yours. If she doesn't like them, she can take her business elsewhere. It also sounds like if you did take her order she would cause issues later. I understand you feeling like you should take all orders being a new business, but if you do lower your price for her, what kind of standard are you setting for yourself? Please do yourself a favor and do not accept this order at anything less than what you have already quoted.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:09am
post #3 of 7

Just say no. Whenever anyone starts telling you how many "important and influential" people will be at an event it means that they'll be way too much of a pain in the butt to work with. If they're that important and influential to her she should be happy to pay enough to buy decent cake to feed them.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

If they're that important and influential to her she should be happy to pay enough to buy decent cake to feed them.

Very well stated!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 1:56am
post #5 of 7

I agree, stick to your prices. If they are "just cupcakes" why doesn't she just make them herself???

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

Dear Bake for me cause I'm special lady,

Yes, I'm sure your party will be amazing. All the 'best' people will be there and you don't want to offend them by laying out some cuppies you picked up at the store for your oh, so important guests.
Unfortunately I am not able to help you impress your friends. I'm no longer available for that date.
Sincerely,
A Baker who knows what her work is worth.

Don't explain your pricing, Don't doubt the work you did to figure out that pricing and don't take an order from someone who is leaning on the "My order will help YOU" button.

I think the 'just cupcake' mix is carried by Walmart now, too.

Mommachris

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much! I will indeed stick to my gut feeling and be unavailable!

Mommachris - I'm tempted to respond with your note - made me laugh out loud!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%