I Made My First Ever Fondant (And Tiered!) Cake!

Decorating By xTiffanyx Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 2:03am by Smith2736

xTiffanyx Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share something--I made my first ever fondant cake by myself! and I also tried to be a little adventurous....not good for my first time, but I tried! ---I made it tiered. I made a 3 tiered cake in superhero colors for my now fiance's 30th birthday party, who happens to like comics since he was a kid. It was definitely difficult, and I have no idea how some of you do such intricate work on your cakes - you must never sleep! I don't even really have decorations and it took me forever lol...All the tiers were chocolate cake with choclate and raspberry buttercream filling...everything I did scratch except the fondant. So here is my question....People loved the cake and thought it was great and I even have someone that's asking me if I can make them a minnie mouse cake w/cupcakes in Feb., but of course we are our own worst critics so I ran into some issues and I was wondering if osmeone could help:

1) The bottom tier is much wider no matter how many times I scraped it when I dirty iced it with the frosting--that was the hardest one.
2) HOWWW on Earth do you get the fondant to be smooth once you start smooth down the bottom of the cake? I started from top and kind of smoothed it with my hands first in an upward direction...then once I near the bottom the fondant gather's closer together and even when I pick it up a few times to ungather it, I COULD NOT get everything around the sides on the bottom to be smooth. Then I went over with the smoother, but still did not help those little lines or dents from the fondant coming together like fabric almost.
3) I put a cape down the back of the cake. When I roll out my fondant I use powdered sugar. So powdered sugar was a little on the fondant even after it was covered....I tried dusting it off--then used a paintbrush with water & even some mixed with the dust.....STILL white in some areas all around the cake where it looked like it neded to be dusted off, yet if we tried nothing happened. What can I do in the future?
4) I covered the cake board in fondant...if you see in the front it's ripped a little. The cake was SO heavy. taking it out and putting it in was difficult. You HAD to hold the board so I guess from the pressure it ripped a little. How can I prevent this?

All in all I thnk for my first time ever it came well. It was a hit and I did a big dessert table that matched it with cake pops, cookies, candy, pretzels, and apples. A LOT of work! lol but I got proposed to that night even though it was a surprise for him (or was supposed to be!) so it was all worth it in the end =)

I attached a pic of the cake.

Thanks!
-Tiffany

4 replies
xTiffanyx Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 5

I attached the pic, but it's not there---you can find it in my pictures on my profiles though. I just added it.

mommynana Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 5

Well first. Congratulations on your proposal, Second, your did a great job, But if you need some tutorials on fondant there are a lot you can look at. If you can`t find them let me know i`ll send you some

designdiva22 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 1:46am
post #4 of 5

All your work is so pretty! Loved the fondant cakes and the cupcakes in your gallery too!

I always use shortening/Crisco to coat my mat when working with fondant. Powdered sugar is too messy and not neat. icon_smile.gif

Smith2736 Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

Great job on your first fondant cake!
In order to get the fondant smooth, I roll it out at least a couple inches larger than it needs to be. That way, when I cover the cake I can pull the "skirt" down to smooth out any pleats.
As far as the powdered sugar goes, I've had that happen before. Just make sure to knead any powdered sugar into the fondant before rolling it out. If you have enough in there before rolling it, you shouldn't need any more when covering the cake. Use a little crisco to coat your work surface and that should eliminate the need for too much powdered sugar.
I haven't covered a cake board in fondant - I would assume that it wouldn't work for a cake that heavy? Just a guess.

Also, if you're going to do a lot of fondant in the future, check out the sweetwise mat (google it). I really like it, also the website has videos showing you how to use it and also how to prevent the folds in the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%