Using A Mixer To Make Fondant?

Decorating By Mae_mom Updated 4 Dec 2011 , 3:02pm by jhill3691

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 4

I wasn't sure where to put this post so when I saw "general" I thought that might cover it. icon_smile.gif I apologize if this is the wrong place!

So my question is, can I use my Kitchenaid to make marshmallow fondant? I always just make it by hand with a huge mess, which is OK, but my husband had the bright idea that maybe if I used the dough hook (greased very well) that I'd be able to make it that way. Or, if it can't feasibly be made that way, would it be possible to color it with the dough hook.

Before I ruin a batch of fondant or my mixer, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has ever tried it?

3 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 4

I have used my KitchenAid mixer to make fondant, but many have complained it was not up to the task. I do not use the KitchenAid now, it's about 20 years old and I want to protect it. I say give it a try, don't walk away from it. If it starts to labor too much, shut it off and finish by hand. You should be able to do about 1/2 the job with no problem...except for the clean up, that will still be messy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 4

I was about to ask, how else you would possibly make MMF, but then you said you do the whole thing by hand. Yes, I use mixers for everything. I like tools and technology.

jhill3691 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhill3691 Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 4

I always use my kitchenaid to start my MMF. I lightly spray my ka bowl with cooking spray, add marshmellows and flavorings, then place mixing bowl over a pan of boiling water until marshmellows are melted. Move the bowl over to the mixer, add powdered sugar and lightly spray the dough hook. I let it mix 2-3 mins on low speed, until the fondant comes together. Then I turn it out onto a pile of powdered sugar and finish kneading by hand. Saves me so much time, mess, and muscles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%