What's The Ratio (Recipe) For Milk Chocolate Ganache?

Baking By tarabara Updated 4 Dec 2011 , 3:53pm by tarabara

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 10:05am
post #1 of 4

I know dark/semisweet/bittersweet ganache is made using a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream and white chocolate ganache uses a 3:1 ratio but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make milk chocolate ganache. I'm making a ganache to go under fondant (so not a poured or whipped ganache) and I want to make sure it's stable enough to support crisp corners. The Cake Bible has an almost 1:1 ratio but I'm not sure if that's meant to make a really firm ganache or a softer one. Anyone know how I should be proceeding? Thanks!

3 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 11:33am
post #2 of 4

Milk chocolate is generally the same as white chocolate: 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream, in WEIGHT, not volume.
I say generally as it's a good starting point, but you may have to make adjustments for your brand of chocolate since the cocoa content changes between brands.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 4

I usually do 2.5 : 1, it's easy when you are weighing the ingredients. When I tried 3 to 1, I found that the ganache was almost splitting because of the cocoa fat content.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you! I had my first cake disaster with this cake and I've had to re-bake and re-fill already. I just don't have time for another screw-up; I appreciate the informati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%