Annabakescakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:00pm
post #91 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:

I just watched Monday's episode on my DVR and my jaw dropped at then end when Minerva said what she said icon_eek.gif I'm glad she's gone...she made me want to stick a fork in my eye!!! It was painful to watch.

Not sure what exactly you mean, but I know when Minerva was embarrass AKA " got sick" and said she was over-stressed, I had an extreme eye roll moment. I have had times I got up Wednesday morning and didn't lay back down until Saturday night. You do what you have to get the job done. There are no do- overs when it is someone's wedding or birthday.

You are talking about last weeks episode.

That's why I said I didn't know exactly what you meant. I don't keep up with it. But she still erked my nerves. What was the episode called you were talking about? If I watch at all it is the rerun late at night and they play a couple or more back to back.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 2:09am
post #92 of 158
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I just watched Monday's episode on my DVR and my jaw dropped at then end when Minerva said what she said icon_eek.gif I'm glad she's gone...she made me want to stick a fork in my eye!!! It was painful to watch.

Not sure what exactly you mean, but I know when Minerva was embarrass AKA " got sick" and said she was over-stressed, I had an extreme eye roll moment. I have had times I got up Wednesday morning and didn't lay back down until Saturday night. You do what you have to get the job done. There are no do- overs when it is someone's wedding or birthday.

You are talking about last weeks episode.

That's why I said I didn't know exactly what you meant. I don't keep up with it. But she still erked my nerves. What was the episode called you were talking about? If I watch at all it is the rerun late at night and they play a couple or more back to back.

It was the one where they had to make their cakes move....using motors, etc.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 4:34am
post #93 of 158

His death was acknowledged on the show he was booted off.

Actually, it was acknowledged at the very end with just a message saying "in Memory of Wesly.." or something similiar. After I saw that I googled it, and found several articles, a few of which did mention that he was a contestant on the show.

Personally, I don't care for Buddy and may not watch simply for that reason. I think he is very arrogant, and way too over the top harsh. The few episodes I have seen, he has just gotten under my skin, I also don't watch his other show for the same reasons as many of you don't..too contrived, not much about the cake decorating.
My thoughts on them choosing the contestants with less talent is because the show is titled "The Next Great Baker". The decorators that post on CC are already GREAT BAKERS!!
thumbs_up.gif

docofthedead Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 5:08am
post #94 of 158

umm...two more points:
1) as a spouse of a soldier fixin to leave again for deployment #6, and a mother of a soldier fixin to deploy for the first time along side of his father...I can say that PTSD is VERY REAL!
Our installation has lead the military in the number of suicides for the past few years, and they have only recently began extensive suicide awareness training. Many of the soldiers here have been deployed 4, 5 and 6+ times, so the thought of having to go back again when those orders are cut is just too much to bear.

docofthedead Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 5:11am
post #95 of 158

Many soldiers come home to changes that are too much to handle..cheating spouses that run off with other men after draining the bank accounts is just one example.
I pray his family finds peace..
My other observation is that I think it is totally demeaning that the box truck they send them packing in says "NOT the Next Great Baker" on the side..SMH

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 6:17pm
post #96 of 158

I personally will not watch this show any more. The moment Frankie came out with that costume and took the chain saw to the cakes we all groaned. What they do to make drama is just too much and too stupid. And obviously they gave no thought to how it would affect others. I own a cake shop. I remember thinking one day that they really must work hard to create excitement enough for a TV show cause it can be pretty repetitive and mundane sometimes in this business. I, for one, would not want to be the tool they use to create that drama at my expense, or the expense of others either.

My condolences to the family at their loss.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 8:54pm
post #97 of 158

So... last week's baker's challenge prize was a sheeter and a year of fondant. Good prize. This week's prize was having to single out the people you don't like and then having to work with them... on what planet is that a "prize"!?!

I agree with those who've said the show is contrived to create drama. I'm finding it harder and harder to watch.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 9:01pm
post #98 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

I personally will not watch this show any more. The moment Frankie came out with that costume and took the chain saw to the cakes we all groaned. What they do to make drama is just too much and too stupid. And obviously they gave no thought to how it would affect others. I own a cake shop. I remember thinking one day that they really must work hard to create excitement enough for a TV show cause it can be pretty repetitive and mundane sometimes in this business. I, for one, would not want to be the tool they use to create that drama at my expense, or the expense of others either.

My condolences to the family at their loss.

I agree. I had it DVR'd and just watched it Sunday. I saw what was coming with the sledge hammer and chain saw and fast forwarded while not looking. My kids were going crazy saying they were such jerks! Missed the commentary, but I am guessing the contestants weren't impressed either...
I am done watching it.

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 9:03pm
post #99 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrainis

So... last week's baker's challenge prize was a sheeter and a year of fondant. Good prize. This week's prize was having to single out the people you don't like and then having to work with them... on what planet is that a "prize"!?!

I agree with those who've said the show is contrived to create drama. I'm finding it harder and harder to watch.

So glad I missed it! I am so done with it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 11:04pm
post #100 of 158
Quote:

This week's prize was a trip to Italy.

(unless I'm mistaken and it was the preview for next week's prize.)

akrainis Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 11:24pm
post #101 of 158

That's next week. From the previews, it looked like they all had a 3 tier cake to decorate which makes it an individual challenge. This week it was in pairs unloading the oven and the prize was to lead their own teams- of people they'd singled out as not wanting to work with.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 11:55pm
post #102 of 158

Dear docofthedead: You have a very special family and I thank your spouse and son for their brave service - and you too!! Theresa

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:01am
post #103 of 158

Dear docofthedead: You have a very special family and I thank your spouse and son for their brave service - and you too!! Theresa

Ditto.

My two cents on this past weeks episode is that I can not believe that the bakers don't see that coming, every week more or less Buddy does the same thing, pick your dream team - ok, now you swap teams. I saw it a mile of, I don't know how they didn't.
Plus, I think the wrong person went home. Buddy has done this before, mistaking emotion for passion with Manerva and this was a repeat of that.

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:06am
post #104 of 158

Now I want to know who left! Lol! Though I don't want to watch icon_wink.gif but I'll need a short description, dice I am forgetfull icon_rolleyes.gif

Claire138 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:08am
post #105 of 158

Do you want me to tell you?????

(Happy belated birthday btw, mine was on the 23rd!)

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:13am
post #106 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Do you want me to tell you?????

(Happy belated birthday btw, mine was on the 23rd!)

yes please!!
And thank you, and happy belated birthday to you! Did you have cake? My grandma made me an angel food and white mountain cream frosting and my small kids iced it!!! I forgot how many crumbs can get in the icing when you ice your first cake at 11 years old icon_biggrin.gif

docofthedead Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:24am
post #107 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf

Thank you Theresa & Claire,
I am very proud of both of them! I have been an Army wife for 20 years..but adjusting to being an Army mom is quite a challenge. Nothing we can't handle, afterall we are Army Strong..lol

Claire138 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:29am
post #108 of 158

***SPOILER ALERT***

So Chad and Heather M were left in elimination room and Chad started bawling about how he was picked on as a kid for being fat and gay and how his grandmother taught him to bake and how people don't realize that baking is such a passion and that's why he's so emotional etc , etc.
Heather looked sort of defeated at that point (imo), and spoke nicely and said something like I've also had a lot of trauma in my life just bc I don't cry about it or make such a big deal about it doesn't mean I don't have the passion too. She was close to tears but pulled herself together and remained dignified.
Buddy then told Chad he was safe (surprise surprise) and sent home Heather.
While it's true that the bear Heather made fell apart in the heat, Chad was the team leader and he was terrible. He gave no direction at all and all the team members were fending for themselves. The wrong person went home.

Thanks for your birthday wishes and no, I didn't have a cake bc I was too exhausted to make it myself and I have no family here (I live in France & my family is in the States). My husband went to the bakery though and brought 5 small cakes for us to celebrate (him, me and the kids) but honestly they were so sweet we couldn't finish them & I wished I had made something! Your cake sounds delicious, it's so sweet when the kids get involved, I'll bet they were so excited!

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:54am
post #109 of 158

Oh Jeezse, yeah, I am missing nothing! Chad is not a leader! He made horrible ash trays instead of tea cups and they carried him through that cake. He needs thrown off just as badly as minerva!!! He made buddy's sister look like an ugly drag queen, down on his luck... Heather is good! So glad she kept her dignity, I hope good things come from this experience for her.

Sorry your cakes were too sweet! I have never made my own cake since I realized birthdays are yucky! Lol I may have 2 more budding cake artists,my 11 year old twin boys. Grandma said they fought to smooth the icing, and cared very much to get it right. My 7 year old loves working with and eating fondant. She is going to be a baker too, she says. icon_smile.gif

Last year a fellow cc'er and I traded cakes, and met for coffee and chatted. This year I was killer busy and then went to grandma's 3 states away.

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 3:49pm
post #110 of 158

Last season they brought back one person who had been eliminated and he got the chance to get back into the competition. This season, I hope more people have a chance. I think there have been too many people sent home who should not have been and deserve another chance at the money.

On a side note, I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain inviting animals into your bakery is a big time no-no. I'm surprised he doesn't have health inspectors constantly making unannounced visits.

Claire138 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm
post #111 of 158

AnnaBakes that is so cute! It's such fun to get the kids involved although I'm terrible at doing it, I get too nervous with anyone in the kitchen and have only recently allowed my 15 yr old daughter cut out some flowers for me!

CakeMamma, you make an interesting point, I never thought about the health implications of the animals, I was raised in an animal free home and have no animals in my home either (which my son feels is a shame as when he was 7 and we moved to a bigger house with a garden he told me "what a shame I'm allergic to animals otherwise we could buy a cow)! Anyway, that's probably why I didn't pay it mind.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 4:26pm
post #112 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama22

Last season they brought back one person who had been eliminated and he got the chance to get back into the competition. This season, I hope more people have a chance. I think there have been too many people sent home who should not have been and deserve another chance at the money.

On a side note, I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain inviting animals into your bakery is a big time no-no. I'm surprised he doesn't have health inspectors constantly making unannounced visits.

I DOUBT THAY ARE IN THE MAIN KITCHEN. You never see anyone else but them, they never eat the cakes. Itis a TV set, set up just for them.
I think the crying man should of hit the box truck! He was not a good leader.

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 4:55pm
post #113 of 158

Well speaking of violations, the girl that was sent home this week kept talking about making and selling cakes out of her home kitchen. As someone who used to live in Las Vegas (where she said she lives currently) I am very aware that selling cakes out of your home there is not legal; you need a commercial kitchen in order to sell, so it was kind of funny to me that they kept putting up film of her saying that she makes and sells cakes out of her home (even though it's only part time).

And also there were many episodes of Ace of Cakes where they had dogs in the bakery- I wondered about that as well as far as sanitation went. Where I live you are allowed pets in your home but there has to be a closed door separating them from your kitchen area at all times. If they were to ever be in my kitchen or prep area I would be in big trouble.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 3:27pm
post #114 of 158

I see so much nasty on Ace of Cakes, it's ridiculous. The uncovered hair and facial hair, not too mention all the nice dangly scarves. Grosses me out!

Thanks for letting me know who got kicked off. I think Buddy made a raitings move. If that was guy was that emotional and dramatic, it's got to be good for television, right.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm
post #115 of 158

I don't know about good for ratings, but it makes me feel nauseated to see all that mess of an overly emotional man.

akrainis Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 6:04pm
post #116 of 158

I get nauseated watching all those people get so messy. I think at one point it looked like Megan had airbrush color or something all over her face. Their chef coats are disgusting at the end of the day, their hands are stained from the food coloring. It is repulsive.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:56am
post #117 of 158
Quote:

I get nauseated watching all those people get so messy. I think at one point it looked like Megan had airbrush color or something all over her face. Their chef coats are disgusting at the end of the day, their hands are stained from the food coloring. It is repulsive.

I know, right! I remember seeing them all lined up after a challenge and their coats were filthy! It was seriously nasty!

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:28am
post #118 of 158

What? You mean the completely outrageous and clearly hired bride was an actress and not for real? NO WAY! Please, you could tell right from the previews that she wasn't for real.

At least the producers had enough sense to not drive around with a pregnant lady in the back of a truck sitting on a milk carton.

Oh, and why does danny always smack the back of the truck when he's the one driving it? Typically you smack the truck so the driver knows he can go. No point if you're the one driving.

Okay, I'm done.

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:48am
post #119 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama22

What? You mean the completely outrageous and clearly hired bride was an actress and not for real? NO WAY! Please, you could tell right from the previews that she wasn't for real.

At least the producers had enough sense to not drive around with a pregnant lady in the back of a truck sitting on a milk carton.

Oh, and why does danny always smack the back of the truck when he's the one driving it? Typically you smack the truck so the driver knows he can go. No point if you're the one driving.

Okay, I'm done.

I think he does it for emphasis, you know, drama? lol! They gotta get the drama where they can so it is natural and not at all contrived... right.... icon_rolleyes.gif

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:55pm
post #120 of 158

I think Buddy sent Megan home because she is with child. After all next week they have to carry huge
flour sacks in a race.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%