Cricut Fondant

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 4 Dec 2011 , 10:11pm by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 7

Is there any reason why I can't make a page of designs from my new Cricut, out of fondant, for cupcakes I'm frosting on Friday? I don't have the time Friday to make them. Very busy week. How do you store the fondant designs you make, before using them?

6 replies
funtodecorate2 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 7

I don't see why not. But I haven't had much luck with using fondant and the cricit. I would mix gumpasted 50/50 into it.
Then I would store them in a airtight container.

Cupcations Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 7

You can do your cut outs weeks prior to the event, I always use fondant (only), after they dry store them in a box, NEVER in an airtight container, plastic/no air will make them moist and sticky.

HTH

sheilabelle Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 7

Cupcations - what is your process for using fondant with the cricut? I have a hard time when using gumpaste. Would you mind sharing what kind of fondant your use, how thin you roll it, do you let it rest after placing on the mat, how long if you do, and anything else that would be helpful. I really want to make the cricut work for me, but am very frustrated. TIA

ptanyer Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 7

I use my Cricut Expression for lots of complicated designs and fonts. I use straight gumpaste, or fondant with gumtex or tylose (50/50 mix). I roll it out on my clay machine roller to a 7, and place on the mat and let it sit while I set up my computer and cricut and cut. Then I remove all the excess gumpaste, leaving the design in place and place the mat in a large ziplock bag and zip it closed. I can store the designs for weeks and then remove it when ready to place on the cakes, etc. Lots of the cakes in my photos were done using my Cricut. I love using it and seems to use it more and more.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Pam

Cupcations Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

Cupcations - what is your process for using fondant with the ? I have a hard time when using gumpaste. Would you mind sharing what kind of fondant your use, how thin you roll it, do you let it rest after placing on the mat, how long if you do, and anything else that would be helpful. I really want to make the work for me, but am very frustrated. TIA

Sheilabelle I am new to the Cricut machine as well! I watched this video & did exactly what they did & it worked perfectly with me

I use Satin Ice, i did not leave it on the mat for it to dry, but I was using white fondant which is thicker than than colored fondant, if i do use colored/dark I might consider leaving it to dry for a couple of minutes. When you unload the mat peel off the excess fondant & DON'T use your hand to take off your cut outs use a scraper.
It is normal to have problems when you are using something for the first time, all you need to do is practice, and search YouTube for how-to videos,they help a lot as well. One last thing read the users manual it has a lot of useful tips.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Rhonlynn Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 7

I just did 12 snowflakes, out of white fondant, in 20 minutes time. Very intricate, shapes I could never had cut myself. I'll put them in a box, and keep them till I need them on Friday. .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%