Royal Icing On Buttercream And Dummy Cakes With Real

Decorating By HolleyRose Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 12:23pm by HolleyRose

HolleyRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HolleyRose Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a 3 tier wedding cake for a friend. The 14" bottom will be a dummy cake, the 10" and 6" layers are cake.The bride wants it all covered in buttercream. My question is; will this make the cake top heavy and what should I do to alleviate the problem? Also, I'm planning on doing some applique in fondant but would like to outline the applique with royal icing and then paint gold. Will the royal dry enough when applied to buttercream to paint? Fondant just isn't big in my area. Any advice would be appreciated.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 3

..........14" bottom will be a dummy cake, the 10" and 6" layers are cake.....will this make the cake top heavy ..........
Not at all. A 6" tier have almost no weight icon_smile.gif I seldom even use dowel support under a 6"er they are so light.

..........applique in fondant but would like to outline the applique with royal icing and then paint gold. Will the royal dry enough when applied to buttercream to paint?.........
Will the royal be on the fondant? Yes, it will dry. Even when piped onto b'cream royal will dry enough to paint given enough time.

HolleyRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HolleyRose Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help. Yes the royal icing is going to be piped onto the buttercream around the applique. I'll give it plenty of time to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%