Need Idea For A Cream Cheese Icing/filling

Decorating By amywood20 Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 11:02pm by chefandbaker

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 1:23am
post #1 of 5

Hello - I am making a Red Velvet Cake and was wondering if anyone had an idea on a recipe I could use for the icing. I am used to making a crusting buttercream for my cakes but I know traditionally red velvet cakes use cream cheese. Is there a crusting cream cheese icing? Maybe adding Meringue Powder to a regular cream cheese icing recipe? I really need it to crust for decorating purposes. For the filling, I am assuming cream cheese icing is typically used there as well? As you can probably guess, I have never made a red velvet cake before. Thanks for any help you can provide! :0)

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 2:43am
post #2 of 5

Hi, here is one from c/c. The original cream cheese icing , only uses butter and cream cheese, but the doctored up one uses some shortening. It changes the taste a bit from the original, but to make it stable, that is what you have to do . There are others sorta like this one all over the internet. Just google it. hth

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/crusting-cream-cheese-icing

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 4:33am
post #3 of 5

I've never tried this, but bunnywoman from Wilton.com posted this and it appears to be very popular:

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing (from Wilton forum):
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=122773&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

KATHY F's CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
16 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 lbs powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes.

Bunny's Notes:
This makes a very stiff consistency with which you can make roses out of. For frosting a cake I added about 1/4 c. of water to it and see what consistency I got. Please note: if it is hot and humid outside I have to adjust the liquid amounts down. Any cream cheese frosting needs refrigeration. This recipe tastes wonderful!!!!!! This is great on a carrot cake or a spice cake.

amywood20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amywood20 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the recipe!

chefandbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefandbaker Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 5

favorite cream cheese filling. 2 sticks of cream cheese and 1 full 7 oz tub of marshmallow fluff. so yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%