Does Anyone Use Other Props On Cakes Besides Fondant?

Decorating By DeeDeesCakeNStuff Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 8:13pm by DeeDeesCakeNStuff

DeeDeesCakeNStuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDeesCakeNStuff Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 4

Can one use plastic props or something similar or is that frowned upon? Has anyone used those on cakes they made for others? I have no experience with fondant and not quite ready to use it. I do want to make a Christmas cake and am thinking of using plastic props or something similar.

3 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 4

always try to get something that is safe for food-contact. hobby stores have super cute cupcake picks / toppers nowadays.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, there are many things one *could* use but not all of them are safe to be used on food - even if you bought them in a cake supply store.
Not that I want to talk you out of using plastics but.....fondant is sooooo super easy to use for flat, lay-on decorations and a few simple shaped/3-D itemsicon_smile.gif Think PlayDough or Pie dough. Just roll it out and cut with a pattern or cookie cutter. To make candycanes, just take a small ball (about the size of a walnut or smaller and roll between your hands until you have a snake whatever length you want; shape the crook and allow to dry overnight.
You can make a Christmas tree from a ice cream cone. Pipe b'cream stars or leaves all over it in green then make tiny dots to look like lights and ornaments.
Hope these suggestions help you.

DeeDeesCakeNStuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDeesCakeNStuff Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I never thought of using an ice cream cone. Very creative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%