Americolor Gourmet Writer Question -

Baking By sweetooth94 Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 3:28am by KoryAK

sweetooth94 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 9

I have Americolor brand food color pens to make eyes and mouths on some cakepops and they are writing very poorly. They write just fine on a paper towel, but look like they're out of ink when I try and use them on the cakepops. Is there anything I can do to make them work better or is there something else I can use that works better? Need some help - ASAP! I have a pile of cakepops ready... I just need to finish them for delivery. Thanks!

8 replies
cakesrock Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

What are your cake pops covered in? Is it candy melts or tempered chocolate you are writing on? I find they work well on fondant, but not on candy melt or chocolate.

sweetooth94 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 9

Yep - candy melts. I keep cleaning the tip of the marker with a paper towel, but it's not working any better. The first few worked great, now it's not. Any idea what I can use instead on candy melts? They are already dipped and dried.

cakesrock Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 9

RI, fondant or candy eyes (you can buy at Michaels) What kind of faces are you doing?

sweetooth94 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 9

Just dots for eyes and mouths ~ simple! I was doing both "smiley" and "dotted" mouths. I'm not sure how long it would take for the royal icing to dry. That's what was so nice about the marker - it dried in minutes and your could bag them up. I could use candy melts, but I don't have black - or any candy coloring to tint it black.

mariacakestoo Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 9

The waxy stuff from the melts is interfering with the (probably water based) ink. Think "oil and water don't mix".

Sassyzan Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:16am
post #7 of 9

Halloween sprinkles are a good thing to keep on hand for small details like that. I have one of those jars with 6 different shapes of sprinkles. I use the black ones for eyes, and I just used some orange ones for a tiny carrot nose on a snowman cupcake. (I know that doesn't help with the marker issue, but maybe you could find some on clearance in the future.)

designdiva22 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:56am
post #8 of 9

I have found that neither the Wilton nor the Americolor markers work on cake pops. I don't know how Bakerella and others write and draw on their cake pops.

I have used melted black chocolate with a toothpick successfully to draw eyes and features on cake pops. HTH!

KoryAK Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:28am
post #9 of 9

Ditto to Designdiva! You just need to pipe or toothpick them on with dark candy melts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%