Red Icing

Decorating By Treena Updated 2 Dec 2011 , 4:38am by Cupcations

Treena Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

HELP! icon_cry.gif I simply cannot achieve "red" icing. I am using the "Crusting B/C icing that I always use and have gone through over half a container of "no taste" red coloring. I know it takes a while to turn but it's not even close. It no longer looks smooth because of so much coloring. What can I do. It is to be picked up in the morning...=/

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:43am
post #2 of 6

You must be using Wilton colors icon_sad.gif
Did you tint the icing orange OR yellow OR pink before you added your red? You should always start with one of those - get it really deep, bright color, then add the red paste. When the icing is on the cake it will get a bit darker. That's why red needs to be colored/made at least some 10-12 hours before you need to use it. Any chance you have some UNsweetened Koolaid? Black cherry or strawberry or even punch should help but again, it needs to havetime for the color to 'develop'.
For future knowledge AmeriColor liqui-gel colors will work much better..

AnnieCahill Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:45am
post #3 of 6

You just have to keep adding more. If it's to be used for a base coat (like for a Spiderman cake) you could get a bottle of the color mist from Wilton and go over it with that. Otherwise you will need to just keep adding more red until it looks right.

For future reference, I prefer Americolor gels over Wilton. You don't need to use as much red coloring to get the color. I also like Chefmaster.

Treena Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:23am
post #4 of 6

I love this forum!!! icon_smile.gif

Yes I am using Wilton, but not ever again for red! =0

Thank you both and wish me luck as I go and try out these tips.

Treena Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:57am
post #5 of 6

I added some pre-made pink icing and some strawberry jello powder and it looks great!

Thanks so much for the help! thumbs_up.gif

Cupcations Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 4:38am
post #6 of 6

Try switching to Americolors food gels, they are way more concentrated than the Wilton FC, plus the colors turn out to be more vibrant!
With Americolor a little goes a long way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%