Tie Up With Local Kids Place?

Business By designdiva22 Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 5:36am by designdiva22

designdiva22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designdiva22 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 4

I am just starting out and have an opportunity to tie up with a local kids place that has a bounce house play area for kids and also organizes birthday parties. It is wildly popular and has lots of birthday parties so it would be great exposure for me.

They are interested in working something out but I am not sure what kind of a tie up to suggest. I have a tie up with the local Little Gym where I offer a 5% discount on cakes for birthdays at the Little Gym. The Gym does not take any cut of profit or upsell my cakes. They only advertise my business in their confirmation letters and the customer has a choice to order with me.

However, when I spoke to the owners of this new place, it appeared that they want some kind of profit for promoting me. They are the ones who approached me first. I am yet to speak in detail with them so want to be prepared for all kind of scenarios.

Any advice or tips?? Does anyone do something of this sort in their local area?? TIA!!

3 replies
designdiva22 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 4

Any advice anyone??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 4

Yrs ago I did something similar. The venue and I agreeded on one price for all cakes - which were all basically the same size (because the size of the party was limited). What they charged the client I never knew as it was part of a pkg. they offered. Can you suggest such an arrangement? "I will make a cake that will serve up to (say 12 or 15 which is one cake mix/recipe) for X $s. what you charge the client is up to you."

As for them wanting *you to pay them* to advertise for you - ahhh, I don't know.....find out how much I guess and decide if it really is worth it to you. Sounds to me what they want is something known as a 'kickback' - also sometimes known as a finders fee.

designdiva22 Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 5:36am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Yrs ago I did something similar. The venue and I agreeded on one price for all cakes - which were all basically the same size (because the size of the party was limited). What they charged the client I never knew as it was part of a pkg. they offered. Can you suggest such an arrangement? "I will make a cake that will serve up to (say 12 or 15 which is one cake mix/recipe) for X $s. what you charge the client is up to you."

As for them wanting *you to pay them* to advertise for you - ahhh, I don't know.....find out how much I guess and decide if it really is worth it to you. Sounds to me what they want is something known as a 'kickback' - also sometimes known as a finders fee.

Thanks so much kakeladi!

Did you also have standard decorations? Decopac? Characters?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%