Decorating Pastry Tips / Tubes, Need Your Serious Imputs.

Decorating By Pyro Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 11:08am by Pyro

Pyro Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everyone, i've never owned any bag tips before and im ready to dive into the wonderful world of piping.

Im the kind of person who buys quality stuff that will last. After much research i came to the conclusion that most tips are made cheaply. And after reading alot i now wonder...

Will cheap tips rust, bend or even break? Some have seams that will distort the piping? As this ever happened to anyone and how often is this likely to occur? Once in a lifetime? Once a year?

Now what i would like to know is what kind of tips are you guys using and what are the drawbacks that you have encountered ?

I've pretty much settled on getting stainless steel tips. Because they don't rust.

Im considering the paderno world cuisine 55 tips kit. Shelling out 116$ for tips tought is keeping me from making a hasty move. But they seem to be the best ones out there. Polished 18/10 stainless steel, seamless. Companies are not affraid to have description of their products when they aren't cheap...

Now i also found Fat Daddio as a 55 peice kit that costs around 50$. Made of 304 stainless steel ( 18/8 ). No idea if they have a seam, but i think they do ( because their other product is advertised as seamless and this one isn't, see below ). The 8 instead of 10 means they have 2% less nickel, basically ( not as strong ). Wich brings me back to, do these thing really break or bend??

Now after searching for top quality tips i also found Fat Daddio makes Polycarbonate tips. Pretty much hard transparent plastic. Seamless, almost unbreakable ( unless you walk on it ), transparent to see air bubbles? I think if you have a bubble at this stage you can't do anything about it anyway. They definatly also don't rust. Is anyone using these and are they just a hype cool looking thing? The 60 peice set is about the same as the stainless set.

Just let me know what you guys use and what cons ( if any ) you have had or have. Maybe im just crazy and should get a 20$ metal kit wilton but i plan on making cake decorating my future and i want to give myself great tools to work with.

Feel free to point me toward other companies that do stainless tips or other materials. I know PME as stainless tips but they don't mention anywhere what quality.

10 replies
tcbalgord Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 11

Personally I use Wilton. I know they rust, but I have had mine for 10 years and they are not rusted, because I hand wash them and dry them right away. I got the master set, but really only use the #2, 3, med rose, and #22 the most. I haven't tried any other brands since the store I mainly shop is Michaels and Wilton tips are all they carry. I can see how spending on quality is really good, but for me wilton is inexpensive and I take really good care of them. HTH and good luck

Baker_Rose Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 11

I would never buy tips as a set because you end up with a lot of tips you don't use. For basic decorating I use the standard size (small) decorating tips from Wilton or Bakery Craft. If I buy them in the cake shop, they are the same numbers, but made by bakery craft, not wilton.

For the larger pastry tips I use a handful for piping whipped cream, piping spritz cookies, piping the big swirl on the top of cupcakes etc, but I only have a few favorites and that is all I use.

If you wash them and set them to air dry they will last for years. I still have many of the original tips that I started with more than 22 years ago. They aren't shiny, but they work.

Yes, I have lost a few over the years, stepped on them or they got trapped in a soaking bowl and rusted, but they aren't really expensive and I have learned that if you have a favorite tip then BUY MULTIPLES of that tip. Another reason to buy them individually, not in sets.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Pyro Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:54am
post #4 of 11

Hello again! Thank you so much for the imputs so far!

I take very good care of all my stuff, wich is why im not affraid to invest into some more expensive things. Tought i rather save money too when it's not necessary, im not made of money ! lol.

I figured the most likely thing that could happen is drop or misplace tips and lose them. Im glad to see rusty tips doesnt seem to be " standard ". What about the tips breaking, im thinking this is more likely in a star tip then a round one maybe ?

It makes sense most people probably only end up using a handful of tips, their favorite ones. But I have no clue which one might interest me. And a 50$ with 50 tips doesn't sound too unreasonable if you consider i've seen PE tips go for 5$ each, even if i don't use half of them later on.

And I have a new question now, do you guys use tips drying racks or just paper towels and a counter?

And to the lurkers, leave us some feedback, hints and tricks or anything else ! icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:02am
post #5 of 11

Tips can rust or bend just like anything else if they are not cared for properly. I have been decorating for nearly 15 years and I have all of my original tips and they are fine.

There are little brushes you can buy to clean them out. I use a brush, dish soap, and a good old paper towel to dry.

kakeladi Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:26am
post #6 of 11

My Wilton tips are just a good now - some 30 yrs later - than they were the day I bought them. Yes, you will drop & step on one OR drop it down the sink disposer now and then (OR like I had once, while setting up a outdoor wedding cake a dog stole one when I wasn't looking and I could not finish the cake!) resulting in having to replace. But as others have said, it's how one takes care of them. They will not rust if you wash and allow to air dry. If you let them soak in water for hours touching one another, yes, they can rust.
(like overnight - ask me how I know!)
Personally I think it is a *TOTAL WASTE* to spend 100s of $$ when one can get basically the same thing for more than 1/2 that.
As I remember in 30+ yrs of decorating I had one tip break - at the seam.

tcbalgord Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 11

For me it's dish soap, the little brush and soft paper towel. I haven't had one break yet, they are fairly durable. The one tip that I have seen have the most issues (at my FT job) is the drop flower tip. Other ppl there do not take care of the stuff and so they tend to think it's a toy and bend it all different ways which breaks it. But they are "kids" and like I said they don't care.

brenda549 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 11

I agree with all that has been said. Especially, shelling out the money to buy a kit of tips. There are only a few that I actually use. I put my money towards multiples of the ones most used.

I use Wilton tips, just because that is what I bought when I was learning piping techniques. As long as I hand wash my tips in detergent and dry immediately, I have no problems. Any problems I have had where user error (dropping in sink disposal and forgetting about it, misplacing tip, dropping on the floor and stepping on it, etc).

aprilismaius Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 11

I use PME and Wilton tips. When I am doing stringwork or piping fine designs like mehndi, I prefer my PME tips because they are seamless and you don't get the little wiggly thing (sorry can't figure out how to describe it better) that you do with Wilton. But for cupcakes and other piping that doesn't really need the same level of precision, the Wilton tips are fine. I agree with buying multiples of your favorite tips! I never use a brush on mine to clean. I soak them in warm, soapy water and rinse with a sprayer. Any sort of scratches inside the tube can distort stringwork.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 11

I agree with everyone that says even the cheapest tips will last a long long time if you properly care for it. No need for fancy drying or storing racks, just drying on a paper towel is fine. I don't even use a brush to clean them, I just rinse them several times with a hand sprayer with scalding hot water. I have a rotating spice rack that I use to store my tips. Several containers in a small space! With the plastic ones, I would be afraid of them staining from dark colors.
As far as which tips to get, it depends on how many cakes you plan on doing a day. If you're going to be doing several a day, then I would get multiples of the most used tips. For stringwork piping, that would mean multiple 1s and 2s and 3s. For borders, I find I use 18s-20s a lot for shells and 10s for pearl boarders (or 6-9 for tiny pearl borders. If you have the patience and hand strength, a 3 or 4 could be used for tiny pearl borders.) Of course petal tips too. I use 104 a lot. It's good for flowers, ruffles and just straight lines if you don't mind one end being fatter. They're good for double borders too. Basketweave tips (I'm not sure of the numbers on those) are good for straight lines and basketweave. One side is smooth and one side is zig zaggy. And then leaf tips. I prefer the 362 tip (i think that's the number anyways). It looks like an inverted V. Those are good to pipe stems, leaves, and some flowers. Like poinsetta and sunflowers. As opposed to the 67 leaf tips with are pretty much only good for leaves, the 362 can be used for stems too.
There is one thing I do have to mention a brand for. This may not make sense to read, but if you look, you'll know what I mean. Wilton 104 tips (petals) are cut slanted. Ateco 104 tips are not. I like the way my flowers look with Ateco petal tips vs Wilton.
I've noticed no one has mentioned couplers. I will only get Ateco couplers because they do not have a notch cut into the side of them. Wilton has that and I hate it. If I have to pipe balloons or do a smooth swirl on a cupcake, I usually just take the tip off my decorating bag and use the open coupler. But if it has that notch on the side, I have to be careful how I hold the bag to pipe a balloon or I can't smooth frost a cupcake at all with it. So just get couplers that are smooth all around. I know Ateco has those, but there could be other companies that do. Wilton has the notch for sure though.

Pyro Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 11:08am
post #11 of 11

Informative and appreciated, thanks to everyone taking time to share and help !

Quote by @%username% on %date%