Charging For Fondant Styles?

Decorating By MaryKatherine Updated 1 Dec 2011 , 2:34am by AnnieCahill

MaryKatherine Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 12:40am
post #1 of 2

I am new to working with fondant. I have a request that has multiple Toy Story characters. I have seen some styles where the characters faces were placed on top of plain fondant and others where the characters were individual cakes or fondant or marzipan ornaments sitting on the cake.

How do you charge for designs with characters? Which style would you charge the most for? The least?

Because I am new to this, I am not sure which will be the most time consuming. Any thoughts?

1 reply
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 2:34am
post #2 of 2

I'm sure someone will chime in, but seeing how no one has replied yet I'll go ahead and put it out there. Legally you can't reproduce those characters because they are owned by Disney. The better thing would be to have your client provide you with toys that you can put on the cake. It also saves you a lot of work. It isn't difficult to design a Toy Story backdrop/theme for your cake that will easily coordinate with the toys.

If you search on CC for copyright there are a TON of threads on this. Many professional bakeries and decorators have clauses or statements on their websites regarding this information.

Disney is very aggressive regarding this subject.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%