Timeline For A Cake From Start To Finish?

Decorating By abchambers Updated 1 Dec 2011 , 4:09pm by Justbeck101

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 3

Just curious to know what everyone's timeline is from the start of a cake to the very end. I feel like I cram too much into a short amount of time, but I want my cakes to be as fresh as possible.

For me it takes about 6-7 days. I usually bake the cakes the weekend before. Then I stick them in the freezer until the night before the pick-up/delivery. Not sure how long a frozen cake will stay good? I've heard in some cases that at 3 months it still tasted fine, but I really don't want to sacrifice flavor/freshness. I do most of the decorating the night before (unless I have anything in fondant I can pre make). Most of my cakes are for a Saturday pick-up/delivery, so I feel like I spend my whole Friday night decorating. I would like to space it out more over the week, but I feel like if I start on Thursday/Wednesday, that the cake won't taste as fresh? I also have limited refrigerator space (must share with my own personal items lol) so it makes it difficult to do many cakes at once.

I also work a full time job (mon-fri, 8-4:30) so that makes it difficult to set a full day aside for decorating. Thoughts/opinions? I'm sure I could be doing myself a favor by spacing it out over the week....Thanks icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Marshall2219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marshall2219 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 2:34am
post #2 of 3

I also work a full-time job and cake on the side. I do some fondant coverings, but I have a huge buttercream only client base. For weddings, I bake a week ahead and freeze and prep any flowers or chocolates or other non-perishable decorations. Groom's cakes come out of the freezer on Thursday morning and get finished Thursday evening. Bridal cakes come out of the freezer Friday morning and get decorated Friday evening/Saturday morning. And then it's on to delivery. I can get two weddings a weekend without too much stress. I'm like you in that I want the cake to be as fresh as possible. Years ago I started earlier in the week and had a huge problem with icing bulges during transport. Since I pushed the schedule back to the last minute, everything seems to travel much, much better. My family just knows that if it's a wedding weekend I am out of pocket Thursday through Saturday afternoon.
Hope that helps!

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 3

I bake up to 3 days prior if I have a lot to do.
So for Saturday:

Monday:Supplies
Tuesday:Boards
Wednesday:icing,fillings,baking
Thursday:fill, ice
Fridayicon_biggrin.gifecorate
Saturdayicon_biggrin.gifeliver

If I do not have a lot then:
Monday and Tuesday same
Wednesday: icing, filling (if it needs a day to set up)
Thursday: bake,ice, fill
Friday:decorate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%