Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By Nadyajaylene Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 3:30am by Nadyajaylene

Nadyajaylene Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 5

can it be used like fondant and make bows circles things like that out of it or its nothing like fondant

4 replies
metria Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 5

it doesn't dry like fondant or gumpaste. it becomes pliable when you apply heat (e.g. kneading it with your hands) and solidifies when the temperature decreases (e.g. leaving it at room temperature). it's pretty similar to fondant if you want to make accents (e.g. cut-outs). you can roll it out with a surface dusted lightly with powdered sugar and cut it up.

i'm not sure about making big loopy bows, so i hope someone else chimes in. i like it for modeling, and i'll even mix it in with my fondant.

jgifford Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

Modelling chocolate by itself doesn't get firm enough for bows, etc., but I mix gum paste with it and it works fine.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 5

I made a regular bow out of modeling chocolate and it worked fine. I was in a hurry so I popped the pieces in the fridge for a couple minutes so they would harden faster and then traveled with the cake in a plastic carrier for a 2 hour car ride on a pretty warm day in Florida and didn't have any issues with the modeling chocolate getting too warm or not holding its shape. I though it was really easy to work with.

Here's a pic of the cake I did with modeling chocolate. The bow, ribbons, and dots were all made with dark chocolate modeling chocolate.

Nadyajaylene Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:30am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone! its helped a lot!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%