Secrets To The "perfect" Homemade Look

Decorating By JazzyBaker Updated 2 Dec 2011 , 7:02pm by JazzyBaker

JazzyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JazzyBaker Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know what's the secret to getting the frosting on a cake looking like the one on the picture?

http://www.marthastewart.com/318202/moist-devils-food-cake
(Mod edited to provide working link.)

Can it be LOTS of frosting?? Or is it a particular tool?? Is a spatula better than a spoon? and if so, what size??

Sorry for the silly question, but for a long while I've been wondering about it...[/url]

6 replies
BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:39am
post #2 of 7

Is it the swoopy looking cake with candles? I am thinking an icing spatula and just do swooping motions with the icing, and yes it does appear to be alot of icing!!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

That's how all cakes looked when I was a kid. Don't over-think it. Just put on plenty of frosting, somewhat soft, and start swirling with your knife. If you want the edges to poke out, use the back of a spoon and lift at the finish.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 9:18am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaW40

Is it the swoopy looking cake with candles? I am thinking an icing spatula and just do swooping motions with the icing, and yes it does appear to be alot of icing!!!

I think it needs to be one of those really wide icing spatulas...or your batter spatula. It's a pretty wide swipe going through the icing.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 11:08am
post #5 of 7

See the rubber spatula in the video?

JazzyBaker Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

See the rubber spatula in the video?

What video?? I can't see any link icon_sad.gif

JazzyBaker Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for you answers, ladies! icon_smile.gif

I went for it and tried with a medium amount of icing (not a whole lot) and a smal offset spatula, and it looks fine, not as pretty as the picture with candles, but good enough to eat icon_smile.gif

I will try with a wide spatula next time though, I think that's the secret to making it look like the one in the picture...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%