Cricut Icing Sheets

Decorating By valerieInga Updated 2 Dec 2011 , 1:14pm by Lcubed82

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 1:13am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if people make their own sheets and what they use, as well as what settings you find work best. I just got the cake Cricut and would like to make my own, Michael's only has the Wilton sheets and even they didn't work very well. Thanks for any help you can give.

8 replies
valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 9

Anyone? Hasn't anyone tried their own? I would really like to be able to use something other than bought,

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 9

I use gum paste or modeling chocolate/candy clay rolled very thin. Check out Linda McClure's You Tube videos and her blog for detailed information on cutting with digital cutters and making gum paste. Her blog is here
http://www.creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com/
She also sells DVDs that have a wealth of info.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 9

We sell icing sheets that are colored or white that are designed for use in the electronic cutters. They are the recommended icing sheets by many top level decorators including Linda.

TashaDuke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TashaDuke Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

I use both gumpaste and fondant, rolled very thin (you should see the lines on the mat through the fondant/gumpaste. Let is set 5 minutes or so to "harden" up a little. I have a great success with that. If you want something really intricate, you need to use gumpaste. Do check out Linda McClure's site. She has great suggestions that have been tried and do work.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 9

I did have very good success cutting letters from the Wilton sugar sheets with my cricut cake (princess book cake). I cut off just what I needed from the larger sheet, pulled off the backing sheet, then applied to mat with very small bit of shortening.

TashaDuke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TashaDuke Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 9

Linda: What pressure setting did you use for the Wilton sugar sheets? When I tried them, the medium pressure tore them up and the low pressure wouldn't cut them at all, even with multiple cuts.
TIA

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 9

I've tried several brands of sheets and highly recommend the premium sheets from icingimages. They cut much easier, taste better, and are less expensive then most others.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaDuke

Linda: What pressure setting did you use for the Wilton sugar sheets? When I tried them, the medium pressure tore them up and the low pressure wouldn't cut them at all, even with multiple cuts.
TIA

Sorry to say I don't really know! I'll get the Cake out and check!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%