Cake Pan Volume Vs Filling It 2/3

Baking By AmyPi3 Updated 5 Dec 2011 , 4:15pm by Norasmom

AmyPi3 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 5

So I have found a "guide" of sorts that says the cups of batter certain pans will hold BUT I have heard that you are to only fill a cake pan about 2/3 full. Is this correct? If so, would these guides be telling me an 8" round pan hold 4 cups of batter to take it to 2/3 full or to take it to the very top?

I suppose I could be in the kitchen now figuring this out with water but I also wanted to make sure the 2/3 thing is right. Does the amount of batter depend on the type of cake and 101 other variables? Should I just always pretty much fill 2/3 full if trying to make a dense cake?

Any tips or info appreciated.

4 replies
CrescentMoon Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 5

I use the "cups per pan" almost always. You are ensured that each pan contains the same amount of batter, thus eleminating a lopsided cake. You will also know if the pan size you are using requires more batter than your standard cake recipe makes. Or, to be less messy and save a measuring cup, I weigh my batter (using a digital scale) between the pans to obtain even distribution.

scp1127 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 1:54am
post #3 of 5

I'm OCD about this stuff. I will make the decision between the two based on my previous knowledge of a recipe. I make notes on everything and that way, I know what to do.

I'm assuming this is referring to larger pans.

For example, if a cake has a tendency to bake slowly in the middle, even with a nail, I'll determine the minimum batter needed to get a height that will torte. If it barely rises, that is taken into consideration.

All of my cakes start out as recipes for 6, 8, 9, or 10 inch cakes. They are all scratch recipes and respond dfferently to baking. So if you are increasing a scratch recipe, take into consideration the unique aspects of the baking process of that recipe and use your best judgement. And give yourself time to re-bake if you are wrong. Once you get it right, make notes of the weight, the height on a toothpick, or any other aspect that will insure a future success.

I understand that the first time I use a recipe in a large pan, I must experiment. After that, the notes are there.

I do this for all cupcake conversions too.

Baker_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 5

I too am anal about this subject. EVERY single recipe I use, doctored mixes to all scratch have their own listing for amount of cups of batter/weight of batter in each pan I regularly use. A weight AND cups of the total batter for each recipe for figuring out other cake pans etc.

I also have notations of baking times etc on every recipe. 10 years ago I kept all this in my head, but now, well, I make sure I write everything down. Weight of batter is the easiest and most accurate.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Norasmom Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

I have 3 inch pans, so in order to get the correct height of cake, I must fill them completely. They have high domes, but when I fill them 2/3, they do not reach the full 3 inches. cup measurements vary for me depending on the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%