Options For A Crumb Coat (Under Fondant)/help With Ganache?

Decorating By AmyPi3 Updated 4 Dec 2011 , 1:33pm by mclaren

AmyPi3 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 3

Pardon me for being all over the place but I need some assistance.

I offered to make my fiance's sister's wedding cake. I had never made anything even resembling a professional cake until after I made her this offer. I also plan to make mine and another friend's a few months down the road. *Digging myself deeper and deeper here*

I figured making their two cakes saves us from having to buy wedding gifts when we don't know what in the world to get them and this offsets the cost of all the pans and whatnot we'd bought to make our cake.

Anywhoosie, I've been practicing and while I know I can make it look good, I don't know that I can make it taste good. I've made a chocolate cake with white chocolate ganache as one filling and the crumb coat and a raspberry filling. White chocolate ganache defeated me once but the 2nd time I was the victor. My spoils were a kitchen full of dishes and flour...

The chocolate cake was good but very dense. I needed milk with almost every bite, lol. I also used Smucker's for the filling the 2nd time and realized I will never use anything but Polaner's ever again. So, I have a good cake, a great filling, and a nice ganache. Put them all together and what do you get? icon_sad.gif I did not like the cake after it was done at all. Blech.

I'm not a white chocolate fan. It's OK but I don't really like it. I don't want to overdo the chocolate on chocolate thing so I didn't really want to do a milk chocolate ganache (I hate dark and semi sweet) on a chocolate cake but the raspberry filling might wake it up a bit...

So to my question(s). Ideas? Do you like ganache on cake? I like it on Olive Garden's Black Tie Mousse Cake but not on regular cake. Not sure why. Do I really have any other options than buttercream (which I do NOT like the taste of the one I made or the can I bought and it's too smushy under fondant) and ganache. Ganache is nice and firm and held my fondant really well.

Should I quit fretting and not care TOO much that it tastes great and more about it's show quality? I'm a great cook and I want everything I make to be the best anyone's ever had but man can that be exhausting.

2 replies
mclaren Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 3

You are making this for your fiance's sister's wedding, right?
What does SHE like? I think that is what matters most.

HTH in your search of the perfect combo for a cake + filling + frosting.

mclaren Posted 4 Dec 2011 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 3

You are making this for your fiance's sister's wedding, right?
What does SHE like? I think that is what matters most.

HTH in your search of the perfect combo for a cake + filling + frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%