Storefront Or Truck?

Business By sarahsweetcakes Updated 1 Dec 2011 , 3:31pm by leah_s

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 8

Is there anyone out that operates a cupcake truck? What are some advantages/disadvantages of a shop vs. a truck? All thoughts and input are appreciated. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 8

That's a tough call. Do you live in an urban location? Somewhere that could support a food truck? Food trucks aren't going to do well in the country since you would have to drive all over creation to get to your clients. have you priced out a food truck? They are not cheap... think 50-100K+ and that's without the truck to haul it around. (this is for a truck with a kitchen of course) Are there many sweets shops around you? If so then I don't think that a truck would be a wise investment. They are VERY hard to sell used too since they are so specialized.

You need to figure out what you want from your business. Then and only then can you get a feel for what option would be best for you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 8

I own Louisville Dessert Truck. I bake in my permitted kitchen and vend from teh truck. A few trucks bake (cookies mostly) in thier trucks, but the majority do as I do. Managing the heat in a truck is an enormous problem. And baked goods need to cook before you can frost them. Truck interior temps can go above 100 even if you have a good ventilation system. A vending truck is not all that expensive <>$20K.

The REAL issue is how your city permits them. If you think getting a home kitchen permitted is difficult, welcome to the world of food trucks. You would NOT believe it.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 8

Do you bake at home Leah or do you rent commercial space? You have to factor that in too.

leah_s Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 8

I have a permitted kitchen at home. (for 12 years).

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

I am in the very beginning stages of planning everything. I honestly am not even 100% sure which state we will be opening in, or if I even want a store front or a truck. My husband is in the Army and right now we are in Germany, so I can't do much more that research. I dont know if we will finally settle down in our home state, or somewhere else. It would make the research so much easier if I knew where we were going to be!!

lilmissbakesalot Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 8

You have a commercial kitchen in your home? That's pretty lucky. My home kitchen is licensed, but I can't make the yummy cream fillings and stuff like that since it's not a commercial space.

It's good to have some basic knowledge though Sarah, so I think you are doing great. You will have a nice broad idea of what you will have to do and you can hone it better when you know where you will be. Good luck with everything and thank your husband (and yourself too) for his service from me and my family.

**edit was for spelling

leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 8

To keep up with mobile food developments, join and read www.mobilefoodnews.com

While New York has just begun enforcing a no vending from parking meters rule, Louisville has just agreed to allow it. That has opened up a whole new market for us.

Some cities try to drive out food trucks, while other cities embrace them.

I'm tellin' you, it's a whole new world.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%