Help With Fondant, Online Uk Store & Cake Board Pls?

Decorating By Preezie Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 2:52am by Preezie

Preezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Preezie Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 6

Hello there! I have been doing cake decorating for 2-3 years now, but it's just a hobby & bcoz of my hectic lifestyle, I seldom find the time for it (hence the inexperience) OK, so my sister is having a baby shower soon & I'll be making the cake. Gonna be a 2 tier cake (10 inch & 8 inch round)with topper, surrounded by regular sized cupcakes with matching toppers....I live in Hong Kong & my sister is in the UK! Trouble is I only get there late on Saturday nite & her shower is at 1PM the next day. So I've decided that I'll make the toppers here & carry them with me to UK to save me time, but buy the fondant I plan to cover cake with there coz it's cheaper & will save me the hassle of carting all that extra weight over! Here are my questions:

1. What do I need to mix with fondant so that it is firm enough & I can get to UK without it all breaking apart/melting? (How do I mix this?)....I usually work with fondant only coz my cakes are made the same day as event. Clearly fondant by itself will not work in this case!

2. Has anyone purchased from the online UK store Sugarshack b4? Planning to purchase the Regalice yellow fondant there....Any comments on if this is a reliable online store & if the Regalice brand of fondant works well to cover cakes?

3. Finally, I would like to know what size cake board u would recommend if I will be surrounding my 10 inch cake by cupcakes. Do u think 13 inch will work or should I go bigger?

Thanks in advance guys!

5 replies
Preezie Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:18am
post #2 of 6

Sorry guys...I know that this is looong post, but pls help if u can...esp regarding what to do abt my fondant figures? Thanxicon_biggrin.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know about the size of the board so can't help you there but I know that my sis in law who lives in the UK buys loads from sugar shack and regularly uses the Regalice fondant. I know that she has no problem with either.
When I travelled last year for my mums bday and needed fondant bc I was making her cake sur place I made the MMF before I left, covered it liberally with plastic wrap, put it into a ziplock back and took it in my suitcase. It arrived with no problems and I was able to use it as I would at home (albeit in my sisters rather limited kitchen!)

Preezie Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 6

Claire!!!....Thank u,thank u, THANK U...lolicon_biggrin.gif You've already put my mind at ease abt ordering online. I was think of doing the same as u....Was initially planning to colour the fondant here & carry it with me, BUT 250g of fondant costs HKD 43 here as opposed to HKD18 in the UK!!! Ridiculous price difference!!! And since I'm splitting the cost of the shower with a few of my sister's friends, we are trying to keep the cost as low as possible....tons of other costs to consider! I don't suppose u have any suggestions abt the fondant toppers? Still stressing abt getting them to UK in 1 piece! Anyway, thanks for yr comments once againicon_smile.gif...appreciated!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 6

No problem, glad I could help. As to the toppers, when I flew last year I also took 3 pair of little boots made out of fondant as gifts for my nephews (they are my biggest fans!), I lined a plastic lock and lock container with bubble wrap, gently placed the shoes inside making sure that each shoe had some bubble wrap around it as protection and then put some more wrap on top of everything and closed the lid. They arrived perfectly, I was amazed!
Make sure thought that the toppers are very dry before hand otherwise you run the risk of moiture and then all your hard work goes down the drain.

Preezie Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 2:52am
post #6 of 6

Thank u Claire icon_smile.gif I actually decided to go ahead & get the fondant here despite it being more expensive...I also got myself some gumpaste to try out for the toppers instead of fondant coz I heard that these dry really hard & should not come apart as easily as the fondant....Now I just have to figure out how to use the gumpaste! Hopefully it's just as easy as working with fondanticon_smile.gif Have a great weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%