Switching To Convection?

Business By splymale Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 6:49pm by splymale

splymale Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 9

Time to get a 2nd oven, thinking residential convection, but nervous about having to completely adjust all of my baking. I bake pies, cakes, & cookies. Can I really bake 2 racks of fruit pies at the same time? Usually I have to use only the bottom rack so the pie gets nice & brown on the top, but cooked on the bottom. What about cookies & cakes, do they bake evenly? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

8 replies
crushed Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 9

I just purchased a residential convection oven. I'm excited for the possibilities of using multiple racks for my baking and cutting down the time it takes to do big orders.

pounds6 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:22am
post #3 of 9

I lived in NC and had a small commercial convection oven in my kitchen. It was amazing. I had 5 racks and was able to bake an entire wedding cake all at once! I moved to Florida this summer and am about to open my cake shop and I purchased a full size convection oven. My cakes bake up just fine. They arent any more uneven than they were in my kitchen oven and they brown etc. I think you will be very very happy. The time savings will blow your mind! Good Luck !

mrsg1111 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 9

I was looking to ask the same question. i just installed an new double oven and was so excited that one of the ovens had a convection bake. But i have been hesitant to use it. I only heard that you can bake more than one cake at a time but wasn't sure and haven't baked enough to test it out. Is that the purpose of it? However, for some reason, my oven doesn't go higher that 325 when on convection. not sure if that's how it's supposed to be so i'm going to have sears come by to check it out.... unless a cc'r knows...

mrsg1111 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:48am
post #5 of 9

I was looking to ask the same question. i just installed an new double oven and was so excited that one of the ovens had a convection bake. But i have been hesitant to use it. I only heard that you can bake more than one cake at a time but wasn't sure and haven't baked enough to test it out. Is that the purpose of it? However, for some reason, my oven doesn't go higher that 325 when on convection. not sure if that's how it's supposed to be so i'm going to have sears come by to check it out.... unless a cc'r knows...

cai0311 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 9

I have a convection oven at home that has the option of regular bake and convection bake. If I select convection bake I punch in the temp I would use for regular baking and the temp is automatically adjusted (lower by 25 degrees).

When I had just a regular oven I baked my cakes at 325 degrees. With the convection bake I punch in 375 degrees, the temp is automatically lowered to 350 degrees, and I get the same results (moist cake, no "hump"). I have NOT noticed the baking time being shorter using the convection oven but I can bake so much more at a time by using all 2 racks in the oven.

I can bake an entire 4 tier cake (2 12" round, 2 10" round, 2 8" round, 2 6" round) at the same time. Takes about 1 1/2 hours (baking and cooling time).

The main thing you have to look for is a true convection oven. Some ovens call themselves convection ovens because they have a fan, but they are not really convection ovens. The oven I have has 3 heating elements: top and bottom (like normal) and a third heating element behind the fan so the air that is blown into the oven is the same temp as the oven. This is really the only way the entire oven is the same temp causing even baking.

The only negative I have is sometimes (not every time) the top the cake gets hard, almost crust like. I trim the top off of each cake so it doesn't matter and it doesn't affect the rest of the cake - just the top. I think it is because of the fan blowing on it but I am not sure. Like I said, it is only sometimes this happens.

Cupcaks, cookies and pies bake wonderfully too.

I own the Samsung FTQ38LWGX. I bought it from Lowes for $1400 including installation.

mrsg1111 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 9

Cai, thank you so much for your information... that was so helpful!!!

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 9

I have a duke commercial convection, with 5 huge racks spaced about 4 inches apart http://www.shopping.com/Duke-E101-E/info I notice that the top is hotter than the bottom and I still rotate most of my orders when they are about 60% done because it doesn't bake evenly, but I am just thrilled to be able to bake 2 wedding cakes and all my small cakes at the same time, lol! I just need to learn how to mix and pan the cakes faster (and get more business) so I can fill it all the way up! BTW, I got it on Craigslist for $500 icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

splymale Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

Wow, thanks! Does anyone know what the differeces are between a commercial & residential convection oven?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%