Not Commenting On Cakes

Lounge By grama_j Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 5:55pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 30

Why is it that over a hundred people will look at a cake and put them in their favorites, but not make a comment ? If I think a cake is good enough, or important enough to SAVE, I think it is important enough to comment on..... Just sayin'........

29 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 30

This again?

Just because I post a picture doesn't mean that I expect people to comment on my cake, or save it to favorites for that matter. That's not why I post pictures. I look at a favorite the way I do a comment. Either is a complement. I have also had people leave a comment but not add the cake to their favorites. No big deal. Many of us are very busy in our non-cake lives and it's tough to comment on every cake we save. I probably saved about seven today and I only commented on three.

A lot of people have problems with this and I honestly don't understand why. Low self esteem about their decorating? Not sure.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 30

If you are looking for comments you are probably better off posting the picture on Facebook.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 30

I find myself thinking the same thing but then I have to ask myself - how many times do I comment? Which isn't a lot especially if the cake already has some. Now I don't even look. Sames goes for blogs, I have one, am sad that no one comments and then realize how many blogs I look at daily and never leave a comment so....again I just have to let it go or it would drive me crazy and make me sad. Great cakes by the way!

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 30

I think sometimes people don't comment because there are already several comments saying basically the same thing and they didn't want to be repetitive. I don't know really. But a kind word or comment would make my day.

But on that note as I have seen by other post, this site wouldn't be where I personally would look to for a uplifting, positive, constructive or kind comment.... anymore.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 30

I'm just as happy knowing that people have viewed my cakes, whether they comment, favorite, or not.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I think sometimes people don't comment because there are already several comments saying basically the same thing and they didn't want to be repetitive. I don't know really. But a kind word or comment would make my day.

But on that note as I have seen by other post, this site wouldn't be where I personally would look to for a uplifting, positive, constructive or kind comment.... anymore.

I totally agree with your post especially the second part icon_smile.gif have a great day.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 30

" But on that note as I have seen by other post, this site wouldn't be where I personally would look to for a uplifting, positive, constructive or kind comment.... anymore."

Ah, yes....... not the way it used to be...... that is sad, isn't it ?

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

" But on that note as I have seen by other post, this site wouldn't be where I personally would look to for a uplifting, positive, constructive or kind comment.... anymore."

I agree it is sad it only takes a second to comment, If I look at a cake I take the time to say something nice, It is do nice to hear any feed back. I have many cakes that nobody has commented on does make u feel a bit bummed out, I have come to expect it already icon_sad.gif hope you have a lovely day.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I'm just as happy knowing that people have viewed my cakes, whether they comment, favorite, or not.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

That's how I look at it. I think saving as a fav as the ultimate compliment and even better then a repetitive comment. thumbs_up.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 30

And I just have to play devil's advocate here, and for the record I have not looked at anyone's pictures on this thread, so I am not refferring to anyone imparticular, but I also think some don't comment, cause not every single cake on here is just a stunner. I think some just keep to the saying of "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all". So, what do you do when a cake looks bad? Should we comment? Cause if some do comment honestly, they'll probably be called rude or mean. And I've seen constructive criticism called mean, so what do you do?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 30

It's the classic need for validation I think. We all have it, but no one should be upset because a bunch of anonymous people on the internet didn't leave a "nice cake" under their picture.

The truth is that most of us here are busy working people and don't have time to leave a comment for every image we look at. Honestly... your cake would have to be drop deap amazing for me to leave a comment. So many cakes are just so-so, which isn't bad in any way... we all start somewhere, but for me to even click on a picture it has to look totally amazing and if the bigger image doesn't live up to the thumbnail I just click on. I have two kids, a job as a decorator, and I am a substitute teacher... I barely have time to post on threads nevermind comment on every image I click on. If someone saves your cake... that is the ultimate comment. Take it for that and don't worry about the rest.

**the edit was for spelling

QTCakes1 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

I have also heard this said about this site over the years, so no, a little meaness is not new to this site or a recent change. I will say this, no one is forced to come here. Call those out who you feel are not being considerate, but flat out rude. I also don't get the repetitive complaints of this site. Are there some valid ones, absolutely, but you don't have to log on here, no. tapedshut.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 30

I'm a hobbyist so any comments/favorites are appreciated, but not expected. I'm not going to lie: the few times that my cakes ended up in the 'Favorite Cakes' section made my day, but I don't expect comments - I don't comment on every cake I look at.

I post my cakes and if I get a comment/favorite, great, if not, no big deal.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 30

Just for kicks and giggles I thought I would just throw this in....the original poster grama_j never said it was her cakes that weren't being commented on. Maybe it was a general observation. Like my general observation of people not including keywords when they post pictures, it kind of gripes me but it might not bother anybody else.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:51pm
post #16 of 30

I'll be happier to get a favourite than a comment. I'll only comment if the cake was outstanding and had few comments,or else I won't bother, also if a beautiful cake has had like a million comments, they don't need my...... "nice".

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 30

Right but generally when someone complains about something, it relates to or affects that person, just like the keywords thing (which bugs me too).

I get that people look for validation or ego stroking. But I don't think people should complain when they don't get it. Really that's what it's all comes down to. If you want someone to critique a cake, then post a thread and ask for that feedback. Don't start a thread basically telling people that they need to comment AND save a picture.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:53pm
post #18 of 30

I think most of us who have commented here are speaking generally. I know I am. I didn't even look at the OP's photos.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 30

I never even look at the pictures on here, I seriously don't have time. If I ever left a comment it would be because something was so amazing I had to say something, but it would take a lot to even get me to look.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:26pm
post #20 of 30

If you want validation and/or comments, create a thread and ask. If you expect anyone to see your cake in the sheer volume of mediocre, average or poorly executed (or poorly photographed!) cakes that are uploaded by the minute here and then comment on how you did, you are going to have to learn to live with disappointment. Of course, I'd probably get irritated if I saw the boards get overrun with "Hey! Look at my cake!" threads...

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:45pm
post #21 of 30

A few years back, there was a group dedicated to making comments on cakes posted. It was their responsibility to go to a grouped galllery with no comments and make comments on those cakes. It was to ensure everyone had some kind of feedback on their cakes. I don't know what happened to that group. I don't know if it is still active or not. I agree that we don't necessarily post for comments but don't we all feel good when we get them?

lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 12:43am
post #22 of 30

You know what happened? This forum got so big that it was an impossible task and the people who were doing it grew weary of trying to keep up and of posting empty comments like "Nice cake" ad nauseum.

There are so many users here that it would be a full time job to keep up.

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:43am
post #23 of 30

I am just excited and happy that someone took a few seconds to view my not-so-perfect cakes!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 4:54am
post #24 of 30

Yeah, I don't get complaining about this either. The galleries are secondary to me, anyway. it's more about the forums for me.

Honestly, getting lots of comments doesn't necessarily mean your cakes are stellar, any more than not getting comments means your work is crappy. It just is what it is. If you and your family/friends/customers/whoever you make cakes for are happy, isn't that enough?

What actually kind of irks me is when someone posts in the forums practically begging for comments on their cake. Really?? Sorry, not trying to be rude, I just really don't get it.

AnnieCahill Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:27am
post #25 of 30

Yep there was a thread posted a couple of days ago regarding no comments left on the OP's (of that thread) cake. I can understand why no one left comments. It was a very cute concept, but poor execution.

When people post threads like that, basically whining that no one noticed the cake, it kind of guilts people into leaving a comment. Does it really mean the same when you have to ask for it?

lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:21pm
post #26 of 30

That's my question too. When you post "Oh pooh... noone even looked at the cake I posted" you are asking for comments and you put people on the spot. Of course they are going to say "cute idea" or "how fun"... if not then they feel bad. If you have to fish for compliments they aren't sincere. Well they aren't AS sincere anyway. That's exactly how the gallery supporters started to feel after a while. After leaving the 9,000th "cute idea" and "how fun" it sucks the life out of it, because it was insincere.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 1:38pm
post #27 of 30

How many of you would like to have comments:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-663404-.html
(Has lots of previous threads on subject.)

Your "undernoticed cakes" PART II/Continued:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7197774-.html

And it's fine to ask for constructive criticism on one of your cakes in the Cake Decorating forum:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-707742.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-703626.html

HTH

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 3:40pm
post #28 of 30

I think the main problem with asking for constructive criticism is that a lot of bakers really don't want criticism at all. Then on the flip side, we all try to be tactful and PC and it's difficult to tell someone why their cake is a disaster without sounding mean.

I've seen some that I wouldn't be proud to claim, but how do you tell someone that?

lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm
post #29 of 30

You don't...because if you do... watch out!

There was a group on here a long while back where you would post and people would give you constructive criticism under your photo,but everyone didn't know about it so when someone would post "Great cake... I noticed that you had a big bubble over on the left side and that your colors were a wee bit neon for the theme" some would get all defensive for the poster of the picture not knowing it was the poster who asked for the feedback.

I still say "if you can't say something nice... shhhhh... say nothing". It's your best bet... until you get called out for not commenting at all... LOL.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 5:55pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I still say "if you can't say something nice... shhhhh... say nothing". It's your best bet... until you get called out for not commenting at all... LOL.

Haha, just goes to show you that with some people, you can't please them no matter what you do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%