To Advertise Or Not To Advertise & Min Price Per Order

Decorating By sacakesandbakes Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 10:22pm by myslady

sacakesandbakes Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 4

I recieved a message from a local magazine asking if I would like to advertise in their Dec issue. I'm not sure if a friend referred me or if they came across one of my business cards.I am a home based baker/decorator. In Texas its now allowed. I'm working part time right now and have kids with very full schedules. I don't have orders every week but on busy weekends up to 4 orders.

Should I look into advertising in the magazine? At this time I don't have a website but I do have a Facebook dedicated to my cakes. I've passed out business cards with every order for future referrals. I was thinking I could do free advertising on Craigslist list too. With all that being said I'm nervous to get too big.

I'm also thinking of adding a minimum charge amount. I get numerous req for cakes that feed 10. Really you want this big fantastic cake to feeds 10. How do you enforce a minimum charge if you never did before?

3 replies
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 4

My cake minimum is $150 and I always let them know after they tell me their budget. I let them know you can have a cake for 10, it's still going to cost them $150.

cakesdivine Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

What's not allowed in Texas? You can advertise via any avenue even internet, you just can sell your product via the internet. You must have face to face contact at your location with the client at some point to collect payment.

myslady Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 4

If you will have time to do the extra orders i would advertise but have a note that you only take a limited amount of orders per week but if you know your kids schedules change frequently and could cause conflicts i wouldnt.

If you do decide to advertise i would block out any dates your kids have activities planned in advance of any potential orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%