Beginner To Cake Decorating!!

Decorating By puzzledlkc Updated 29 Nov 2011 , 11:41am by knlcox

puzzledlkc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzledlkc Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:17am
post #1 of 6

Hi I am Lindsey Carter I am 26 years old and I live in Las Vegas Nevada I have been seeing alot of my friends, family's facebook pages of cakes they have made and made me want to learn and watching cake shows and such Made me want to learn how to cake decorate and want to know where to start as step 1 and such and I feel dumb for asking but this is my dream to one day own my own business but thats way down the line. Anyway this got me inspired and excited so here I am asking for beginner tips and comments. Thanks All for helping me out. I also love baking cookies and brownies and want to do the next step by learning cake decorating. thanks!

Lindsey

5 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 6

Lindsey, sign up for beginner cake decorating classes. I took mine at the local Michaels craft store. I believe this is where most people start. You will learn the basics there. Good Luck...

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

Lindsey, sign up for beginner cake decorating classes. I took mine at the local Michaels craft store. I believe this is where most people start. You will learn the basics there. Good Luck...

I started by taking classes at Michaels as well. If there is not a Michaels in Vegas, check for an AC Moore or another craft store.

Also, I am pretty sure Vegas has a few culinary schools in the area. Many will offer recreational classes vs. fully enrolling in culinary school. This would also be a less expensive way to see if you love baking too.

Finally if you get hooked as many of us here are, you have the benefit of being near so many large hotels. Perhaps you can get a part-time job or internship in the pastry area to further develop your skills.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

I also took classes at Michael's which get me motivated to learn more. I have learned a lot from the tutorials available online. I'm always looking for something new to try just for the challenge. Even if I never sell a cake, I love to make them for my family and with a large family there is always an occasion.

puzzledlkc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzledlkc Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:04am
post #5 of 6

Thank Everybody!! I just wanted to see where to begin and that answered my question. I love baking like I said cookies and such and just want to keep learning new things. I also have been told about michael's I am gonna go there today and check out the class information and hopefully enroll. And Also how would I go to a culinary school and do recreational classes? don't they only offer full on classes or do some schools have recreational classes also? yeah my goal starting january is to start learning different beginner tutorials on how to decorate 1st tiers and see how I do and read a lot and study I know this is want. if you have anymore ideas or comments there welcome. again thanks everybody I so appreciate it.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:41am
post #6 of 6

I started by watching Youtube videos of how to do everything! I even learned how to pipe buttercream by watching and practicing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%