Ganache Is Kicking My Rear!!

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 10:07am by Cher2309b

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 2:56am
post #1 of 4

I realize this is only my 2nd time covering a cake in ganache but I'm getting frustrated. What am I doing wrong? It's too thick on top but the sides are kind of sloppy looking. It is dripping down the sides. I use a lot to make sure I get good coverage all down the sides. Thanks so much for all your help on here!!

3 replies
lilcupcake0309 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcupcake0309 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 8:11am
post #2 of 4

Maybe youre not letting it set long enough before trying to cover the cake. Let it sit until its like the consistency of peanut butter.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 9:14am
post #3 of 4

by dripping down the sides do you mean its runny? if so you need to use a higher choc to cream ratio. perhaps you are putting too much ganache on.. dont be scared to put it on thin, so long as the cake is covered it will be fine. i only put just enough on mine and it works well for me. i use a bench scraper to get mine on the cake evenly.. a butter knife if its a carved cake and in the inticate parts.. a lot of people swear by using a hot knife, have a play around and find what works best for you. =)

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 10:07am
post #4 of 4

I generally allow my ganache to stand overnight at room temperature to set. You can beat it to thicken, if necessary. I also spread it quite thinly and then scrape it back so there's just enough to even up the surface and glue on the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%