Mudcake Texture--Did I Ruin It Or Is This Right???

Baking By tarabara Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 4:43am by tarabara

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 5

I've never had mudcake before so I tried a well-reviewed recipe this weekend. The toothpick came out clean but the middle of the cake is kind of soft and squishy-like. I think I read somewhere that mudcakes are a little like brownies and I guess that would be a good way to describe it...maybe. I'm making a cake for my sister's work Christmas party next weekend and I was going to use this recipe but now I'm not sure. Can anyone let me know what a mudcake is supposed to be like? Thank you!

4 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

The toothpick came out clean but the middle of the cake is kind of soft and squishy-like.

Depending upon the recipe, that's correct ... Just like brownies, slight variations in recipes and/or technique will produce a huge variety of mudcake textures ...

tarabara Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

Okay...phew. At least now I don't have to try making it five more times this week to figure out what I did wrong. I just have to decide if everyone at the party is going to wonder if I'm feeding them half-baked cake since odds are most people there haven't had mud cake before either. :S The good news is that I think it tastes great...but then again, I'll eat cookie dough and cake batter!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 2:50am
post #4 of 5

I personally did not care for any of the mud cake recipes I have tried icon_sad.gif I am very used to my pound cake which is what I had expected...sooooo I just made a chocolate cream cheese pound cake instead! Carve-able and yummy!

tarabara Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 4:43am
post #5 of 5

Ooh, that sounds good!!! Maybe I should give something like that a try....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%