How Much Would You Charge...?

Decorating By Toja Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 4:52pm by jason_kraft

Toja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toja Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 5

I've been cake decorating for about a year now. At first I was making cakes for my kids, husband, mother, father etc then I began to make cakes for friends and extended family (free of charge, a "gift"). But now friends are telling friends and I'm beginning to get some orders from friends of friends.

I not very comfortable asking for or pricing my cakes but I really think it's time to do so and make a profit out of it. Also because I think I have friends and family members how are taking advantage and asking for birthday cakes to take to work etc (expecting the "gift" more than once).

So here's my question how much would you charge for a cake that is:

2x 8" banana cake
all fondant decor
vanilla cream filling
3 rice krispy treat towers

the total weight is about 4.5kgs

I'll attach a picture of the cake so that you have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I know I shouldn't be shy to price my cakes but I guess that's what happens when you turn a hobby into a business icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
Toja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toja Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 5

for some reason I can't upload a pick to the post. But if you go to my photos it's the princess cake.)

thanks for looking icon_smile.gif

BeccaW40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeccaW40 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 5

It's adorable! How many servings? You should at least charge what you put into it. I had a hard time charging and pricing as well, however after spending over 32 hours on 1 cake, I decided it was time to quit being taken advantage of. I am new also, however my time a skills are valuable to me, so I personally think you should at least charge what it cost you to make it. icon_smile.gif

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 5

I would charge around 120-140 for that..

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

Considering you are in Portugal, knowing how much US-based bakers charge probably won't help you much. You need to add up the cost of all the ingredients for the cake, the cost of your labor, and any overhead involved (I'm not sure if Portugal requires a health inspection, business license, etc. to legally sell food). Take this cost and add 20-30% for your profit margin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%