Photos, Lighting And Distortion

Decorating By MelissaJeane Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 4:07pm by MelissaJeane

MelissaJeane Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:04am
post #1 of 4

I feel as if I am always fighting with reflections, color and clarity in my pictures. I would love to get a new camera, would anyone have a recomendation? I am currently using my phone after dropping my Nikon camera and I am just not happy with my picture, ecpecially the color if I cannot photograph in daylight.

3 replies
step0nmi Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 6:38am
post #2 of 4

oh noes icon_sad.gif i'm so sorry to hear that you are having troubles. one thing to realize when taking photos is to have a flat colored background. what i do is tack up a sheet of wrapping paper, by using the non shiny side, and place your cakes on there...make sure you have enough lights on to not cast shadows or get a glare if you're using a flash. i use to use anything to make a nice background like a sheet or cloth, this always creates a nice effect and makes your colors pop.

dealing with a color issue then that may mean you have too much brightness and/or have too much midtone lighting...you can always adjust your photos online too!

if you're going to purchase a new camera i don't recommend getting a point and shoot for your cakes...you may have to invest in something a little more expensive. I always recommend Canon cuz i love their cameras: easy to use, takes great photos, and i'm never dissatisfied with my photos. Mine is a Rebel T1i which is one level up from just the rebel. just make sure to do research on your camera before you purchase because it is an investment and you want to make sure you're comfortable with the product!

good luck!

step0nmi Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 6:41am
post #3 of 4

oh boy! look before i speak icon_redface.gif you already do have the stuff i said! i think you have really nice photos! the only thing i would think for lighting is that you are just utilizing your flash which is causing a glare...while this is nice to get the photo once you look at it you have too much lighting between you and your camera and it is not highlighting your details.

buut...YOUR GLOBE CAKE IS AMAZING!

MelissaJeane Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you Step0nmi, I had a Cannon Rebel Film camera and I loved the quality of the pictures. Maybe a new camera and a dimmer switch in our dining room icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%