Looking For Another Mixer

Business By karateka Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 4:10am by scp1127

karateka Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 4

I have a KA5 that I recently challenged with kneading some fondant. It did fine at first then stopped working.

Not sure if its permanently damaged, but am looking.

I originally wanted to get a 10 or 12 quart countertop model. I have found some like Vollrath that are in the $1100 range. The issue I have is that I can't seem to find a way to buy extra paddles and bowls for it.

The largest ones I see besides those are the 7 quart mixers, like Cuisinart, Viking, and KA. I'm familiar with KA, so they naturally have the lead, and if my current one is dead, I'd be able to use it for small batch stuff as well.

The larger ones would be great for the biz....double batches of Sugarshacks buttercream, 14 inch round cakes, etc...

I need some opinions on what would be best to do. If you have any experience with the 10 or 12 quart countertop mixers, I'd appreciate any input. I want a Hobart, but cannot afford one (they sure are proud of those things!)

3 replies
BlueSmoke Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 4

I have a 7 qt Viking. I have had it for years - I think since 2004, and I abuse it endlessly - bread, fondant, icing. I love it dearly and highly recommend it. I do have extra bowls as well, and they are nice and deep.

ConfectionsCC Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 4

Have you tried contacting the manufacture for information on how and where to purchase extra paddles and bowls? I think it sounds like a great idea, go get it!!! I wish I had money to spend on a bigger mixer icon_rolleyes.gif

scp1127 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:10am
post #4 of 4

I'm still a fan of WS and their lifetime guarantee. They have the new KA 7.

I also have seen great deals on used commercial mixers at my restaurant supply store. The staff is very knowledgeable on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%