Only Have Devils Food Mixes..can I Make Red Velvet From Them

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 13 Dec 2011 , 2:10am by graciesj

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 12

I need 50 cupcakes that are Red velvet...I have 1 DH Red Velvet mix and that's it!! Here in Canada you cannot get RV cake mixes and this is the last I have from when my mom brought me some back from the US...but I have Devils food...I read somewhere I can turn these into red velvet..Does anyone know how??

Appreciate the help!!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 12

All I can say is red velvet cake is NOT a red colored chocolate cake. It has it's own distinct taste with a hint of cocoa.

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 12

I live in burlington Ontario and you absolutely CAN buy RV cake mixes here. Check Loblaws stores.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 12

I found the following recipe online but I have never used it. 1 devils food cake mix (moist style with pudding in the mix)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 bottle (1 ounce) liquid red food coloring*
--
Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water
finely chopped pecans or coconut for topping, optional

Preparation:
*If you use the more concentrated paste or gel coloring, beat in enough to make the batter a vivid red color.

Grease and flour a 13x10x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350°. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, baking soda, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring. Beat on low speed until well blended. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger. Let cool on a rack.

Frost the cooled cake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped pecans or coconut, if desired.

In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese and butter together until blended. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and enough of the warm water to make a soft, spreadable frosting.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 12

If I ordered red velvet cake I wouldn't want chocolate cake colored red. I have to agree with QTcakes1. The recipe for Sarah's red velvet on this site is very good and easy to make.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 12

Yep I also agree with the posts about RV not being a chocolate cake. It should really only have a tiny hint of chocolate taste. You'd be better off using a white mix and adding a tablespoon of cocoa powder to it and using buttermilk for the liquid.

I use the scratch recipe from Martha Stewart and it turns out great.

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 12

I know REAL red velvet is not choclate cake..It is from the south with buttermilk and such..But here all the cakeries etc have taught people that red velvet is a chocolate based cake...Silly I know...that is why I asked about the devils food mix..Sorry if I offended anyone from the south... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 12

I'm from SC and even I ask people how they prefer their RV cake if one is ordered. I ask them to describe how they like it because people have differing experiences. Some will answer a little more chocolates while others say tangy and sweet. I've learned there is not one way to make this cake. I do use Paula Deen's recipe most of the time. It's delicious!

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I need 50 cupcakes that are Red velvet...I have 1 DH Red Velvet mix and that's it!! Here in Canada you cannot get RV cake mixes
Appreciate the help!!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

Try where you can find President`s Choice products. I know they just came out with a Red Velvet mix ( it is a few dollars more than a regular mix). You can check out the reviews for it here.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=101&productId=prod1420007

Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 12

I read the reviews and they aren't that great...some say it tastes bland etc..and they use insect dye to color it...I think I'll just use my devils food cake instead.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 12

I'm not from the south but I do know what a red velvet cake is and it doesn't come from a box mix. If they just want a red cake that's a different story.

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 2:10am
post #12 of 12

honestly, there's no comparison with scratch red velvet cake. It's a little tricky at first but once you get used to it, you'll love it! And so will the ones receiving it! good luckicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%