Ny Sports Fan 30Th Birthday Cake

Decorating By SweetsbySouthernBelle Updated 11 Dec 2011 , 9:15pm by cangela4re

SweetsbySouthernBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbySouthernBelle Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

My lovely fiance's birthday is mid-December, and since it's such a big birthday (he'll be 30), I've reached out to all of his family and all of the friends that I know to give him a big birthday bash.

Since he's such a MAJOR sports fan, I've made it a sports-themed party where everyone is supposed to come wearing a jersey for their favorite team. (Plus, my affectionate nickname for him is Jersey because he's from NJ icon_biggrin.gif so there is that little bit extra cool tie-in) Anyway, being from NJ, he is a super loyal NY sports fan. He is very much devoted to the Yankees and the Giants. I want to make him a special cake, but I'm not experienced with fondant more than just putting fondant into molds to make mini fondant roses for cupcakes a few weeks ago.

The cake itself will be a banana cake with mini chocolate chips (his favorite), possibly two tiers, with SMBC frosting and probably a banana cream mousse filling. So, what do you guys suggest as far as decorations go? Again, please keep in mind that I don't have much experience with fondant or gumpaste. I am not opposed to trying new techniques, but as I am a full-time teacher, the time I'll have to devote to the cake and decorations won't be too terribly much. I have a half-day of school on that Friday, and his party is the next night at 7:00 pm.

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys, so much. I appreciate any and all ideas.

SweetsbySouthernBelle

1 reply
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 2

There are sooo many ideas to choose from if you want you could google NY Yankees Cake or NY Giants Cake and youll get tons of ideas for inspiration but my suggestion would be to carve a cake into a NY Yankees Jersey and put his name or the name "Jersey" on it since thats what you call him.

Carving and covering a shirt cake shouldnt be that difficult since you could make it from just a sheet cake type pan yet it would be a little more creative than say a round cake. You could buy some Duffs white fondant at Michaels with a coupon making it 50% cheaper today and tomorrow only or 40% cheaper if used Tues - Sat (check the paper) and then you would just have to pipe/fondant some stripes and a name, maybe some buttons or fake stitching but nothing too outrageous.

The nice thing about fondant decorations is that you can make them well in advance and pop them on the day of the party....even if you just did a frosted cake.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%