Using Moulds ??

Decorating By ceciliarobo Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 1:01am by DeniseNH

ceciliarobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceciliarobo Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone help me with a reindeer mould That I am trying to use ?
It refuses to "pop out" like its supposed to.
Ive used sugarpaste - and ive also added gum trag to it with no success icon_cry.gif
Ive even put it in the freezer but the antlers still break off !!!
Help!!!

6 replies
Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 7

Did you try dusting the mold with cornstarch first? Make sure your sugarpaste isn't too sticky. Hope that helps.

ceciliarobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceciliarobo Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your response ,
I used Icing sugar (powdered sugar) which is what I use for all my sugarpaste work.
Do you mean cornflour?
icon_sad.gif

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 7

If you're in the UK, cornflour is what we in North America call cornstarch. It should help prevent the sugarpaste from sticking if you lightly dust the mould with it. Good luck!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 7

Another good idea is to put some solid white fat on your fingers and lightly grease the top surface of the paste before cutting it out. The antlers will come right out.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

Another good idea is to put some solid white fat on your fingers and lightly grease the top surface of the paste before cutting it out. The antlers will come right out.

I don't understand how to apply what you suggest to getting a gumpaste/sugarpaste figure out of a mold/mould. Do you mean that you put grease on the part of the sugarpaste that you think will touch the mold? Would you not put grease on the mold itself? Which part are you cutting?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 1:01am
post #7 of 7

If you put white fat on the mold you won't be able to get it into the little nooks and crannies without extra fat gobbing up the cutter. So, if you put the fat on the sugar-paste then the cutter will glide through the sugar-paste because the small amount of fat on the surface of the paste will create a barrier between the paste and the cutter - not allowing the paste to come into contact with the cutter so.................it can't stick. If you're a mom, you'll understand it this way. When you put Vaseline on your baby's bum, moisture can't cause the baby further irritation because the grease or Vaseline creates a barrier between baby and moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%