How Do You Serve The 2" Short Tiers Within A Tiered Ca

Decorating By Dreme Updated 26 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm by KoryAK

Dreme Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 3:34am
post #1 of 5

How does the top tier on this cake work?

When sizing a tiered cake for a client is it looked at as putting something like a 2" sheet cake in? Is it cut in 2x2 party servings? How does it look plated? Say if the majority of the cake is 4" high and has 3 layers of cake with two fillings, what does the short tier look like plated?

4 replies
step0nmi Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 5

i wouldn't even do that as cake...that's so small you're better off doing that as a styrofoam...OR it could just be what the bride and groom get to cut and eat together?

mcaulir Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:27am
post #3 of 5

I would guess that you would count the servings for payment, but not for eating, if that makes sense. That is, if it held 8 servings, you charge for those, but only use the bottom cake for serving.

The one I did, the engaged couple took that tier home with them.

FromScratchSF Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 5

I've done 1/2 tiers, I count them in the serving total and the cost is calculated on 1/2 of what it would normally cost for a full tier. So a 6" regular would have 12 servings, a 1/2 6" would have 6 servings. When I've dropped the cake off I instruct the person cutting the cake to cut the 1/2 tier the same as they would a full, but to give 2 pieces on the plate using the straight line method per my serving chart. No big deal.

That cake is really cute.

KoryAK Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 5

Or instead of cutting the 1x2x4" slice, just cut a 2x2x2" slice - same volume. (Though I think the cake on top is 1.5" tall)

Quote by @%username% on %date%