How Do You Serve The 2" Short Tiers Within A Tiered Ca

Decorating By Dreme Updated 26 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm by KoryAK

Dreme  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 3:34am
post #1 of 5

How does the top tier on this cake work?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1968280

When sizing a tiered cake for a client is it looked at as putting something like a 2" sheet cake in? Is it cut in 2x2 party servings? How does it look plated? Say if the majority of the cake is 4" high and has 3 layers of cake with two fillings, what does the short tier look like plated?

4 replies
 step0nmi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 5

i wouldn't even do that as cake...that's so small you're better off doing that as a styrofoam...OR it could just be what the bride and groom get to cut and eat together?

mcaulir  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:27am
post #3 of 5

I would guess that you would count the servings for payment, but not for eating, if that makes sense. That is, if it held 8 servings, you charge for those, but only use the bottom cake for serving.

The one I did, the engaged couple took that tier home with them.

FromScratchSF  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 5

I've done 1/2 tiers, I count them in the serving total and the cost is calculated on 1/2 of what it would normally cost for a full tier. So a 6" regular would have 12 servings, a 1/2 6" would have 6 servings. When I've dropped the cake off I instruct the person cutting the cake to cut the 1/2 tier the same as they would a full, but to give 2 pieces on the plate using the straight line method per my serving chart. No big deal.

That cake is really cute.

KoryAK  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 5

Or instead of cutting the 1x2x4" slice, just cut a 2x2x2" slice - same volume. (Though I think the cake on top is 1.5" tall)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%