Helping Melissa~

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 15 Sep 2005 , 3:43am by tcturtleshell

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 33

Hey CC Family,

I heard from MelissaBlack again yesterday. She's doing great! She wanted me to thank everyone for all the prayers for her & her family! Melissa & her children will be flying to her parents in Abbotsford, B.C. Canada in 2 weeks & will be staying there for 4 months or longer. She gave me her address but forgot to tell me if it was ok to pass it along to everyone so I'm going to hold off posting it till she gives me permission.

About the clothes? They were able to salvage most of their clothes. She said they didn't need any. So thank God that part is taken care of! thumbs_up.gif

She also was able to save her KITCHEN AID!! She let it dry out & turned it on & IT WORKS!!! So happy that was saved too! Melissa is in great spirits & has a great attitude!! In all this tragedy she is good!! That's a blessing!!! She told me to thank everyone!!! So THANK YOU FROM MELISSA!!!!

I told her she might be getting some goodies from her CC family... so once I post the address whoever wants to send goodies go ahead. thumbs_up.gif I think it would be so neat if they had things there when they got there!! Ya'll have been great!!

While I have the floor... I'd like to thank everyone that's sent me PM's & emails!!! CC Family members are so thoughtful & caring for one another!!!!! It's truly amazing!!! My company will be leaving tomorrow... going back to their home in South La. I'll hopefully be back to myself soon!! Thanks for all the encouraging emails & PM's that I got from you all!!!!!! Thanks for cheering me up when I needed it!!!! I hope I can be there for anyone that needs me!!!! That's what family does!!! Thanks again!!! CC members ROCK!!!!! God bless ya'll!!!!

Your Friend, ~Tina~ icon_smile.gif

32 replies
jenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenie Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 33

Hi Turtle,

It's good to know that Melissa and her family are ok..and of course you too! icon_smile.gif I know you've been working hard to help the victims there. We're proud of you girl!!! I heard in the local news here about over a week ago that our gov't sent medical team and sanitary engineers to help. I know everything will be ok!!!

Jen

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 33

TC...you are a very kind and caring person. Thank-you for your update on Melissa. I will keep looking for the address and will plan to send something her way.
traci icon_razz.gif

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 33

Hi Tina,

That's great news about Melissa and her family, and your news, too. I'll be looking out for the address posting, to help her along, as and when.

You're a treasure.!
Barbara

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 33

Great news! Thank you so much for sharing, I'd love to send her a little something also.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 12:31am
post #6 of 33

i was wondering if she lost her cake decorating stuff? maybe we could each send a little something related to cake decorating?
let us know what we should send.
melody

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 2:08am
post #7 of 33

I too would like to send a "care package" just let me know how and when!!

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 2:08am
post #8 of 33

i would like to suggest something... If we are going to be sending her some cake decorating things maybe we should start some kind of registry of sorts so that she doen't get 3 and 4 of the same things and ends up not being able to return or exchange things. Not that getting doubles of some items is a bad thing! icon_lol.gif

tcturtleshell, can you see what she did loose and what she needs so that we can give where she needs it most? That would be a more efficient way of helping her out. Again this is just my opinion.

Thanks for listening! I too want to send her some goodies! icon_smile.gif

Tina

NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 2:14am
post #9 of 33

OK maybe instead of items (postage, duplicates,ect..), how about gift certificates to Joanns, Michaels. I know I would LOVE to go shopping for my favorite items for free!!!

Talk about a spirit lifter!!

TC can you see what will be the closest store to her after she is moved?

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 2:26am
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

OK maybe instead of items (postage, duplicates,ect..), how about gift certificates to Joanns, Michaels. I know I would LOVE to go shopping for my favorite items for free!!!

Talk about a spirit lifter!!

That is a great idea!!! Just remember that the exchange rates are higher in Canada!! So just a keep in mind thing! GREAT IDEA!!! thumbs_up.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 2:27am
post #11 of 33

OK sorry about the continued posting, but my brain is in over drive tonight... Wouldn't you know it all of these creative juices flowing and no cake to do??

Anyway, back to topic...
I was thinking if her KA survived maybe most of her other stuff did too..pans and tips and the such, but what about books and magazines??? They would be more likely to be ruined. Maybe Jackie could set up an account for her here and we could donate money for her to get books and CC stuff.

It would help Melissa and CC at the same time! Just a thought...

TC you would be the best judge of what she is in need of cake wise.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 2:34am
post #12 of 33

Figured it would be best to combine my three posts on this subject.
Thanks Turtlelady! May I make a suggestion? Perhaps it would be better to email those who ask for the address rather than posting it publicly, just to be cautious?
When you have her permission, would you please send it to me?
Glad things will be returning to normal for you!
American pals,
Just one thing, if you send her gift certificates from the U.S., they won't be recognized by Canadian stores just as ours are not recognized by your stores, of course she could use them once she returns to the U.S.
Also, if you send her anything from the U.S., be sure to write, "Gift" on the Custom's forms as she will be charged a $5 handling fee and taxes on the Canadian equivalent of the U.S. dollar amount. Also, on the Custom's form please remember that the 'Value' is not the same thing as the insured value. The value is what you paid for it and the insured value is what you insured it for. If you forget to write "Gift" and you put the Value as the insured value, which is usually a minimum of $100, she will be charged duty on that amount and the $5 handling fee. On gifts, she will not be charged either.
There is no Joanns where she will be, but there is a Michaels in Abbotsford, BC, however you will need to purchase a Canadian gift certificate for her to use there, not one from an American Michaels as they will not recognize it here just as ours are not recognized in the U.S. I have looked into this before. However you could purchase a Postal Money order or send her things labelled as gifts. If you send a Postal Money order, make sure it can be cashed in Canada, there are specific ones for here.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 4:35am
post #13 of 33

Heath brought the address thing to my attention too. So I won't be posting Melissa's address. I am going to PM everyone that makes a comment in this post asking for her address ok~ If I forget anyone please PM me to remind me that I have not sent the addy to you yet~

Melissa will be so thrilled to get a pkg or pkgs!! Ya'll are so sweet!! I'll ask her what she needs & I'll get back to this post ok~

God Bless You!!

tcturtleshell Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 4:38am
post #14 of 33

Darn, I knew I forgot something...

Squirrelly, thanks for the info about the pkgs sent to Canada. I'm sure a lot of us didn't know what you said. Thanks! I think we could send her personnel checks. Can personnel checks be cashed there? Would she get a charge to cash them? Also what is the American/Canadian Dollar rate? That would help everyone too.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 33

Thanks my Turtle Lady, I received the address.
Well the exchange rate will vary depending on the day she gets it and what the handling fees are that the bank charges. If she has a U.S. dollar bank account in Canada, she won't have any problems with cashing cheques. If not, it will depend on the bank she is using. If she kept a U.S. bank account, it won't make any difference.
The best thing would be to purchase a draft that is basically quaranteed to be cashed anywhere, if she has a bank account. Or a postal money order that is cashable in Canada, but there are fees associated with both, I do believe, from your end. For example, when I sent money to the relatives in teh U.S. I purchase a U.S. dollar bank draft cashable in the U.S. and it costs me a handling fee of about $4.50. Postal money orders cost me about the same. Of course if you purchase U.S dollar bank drafts or postal money orders that are cashable in Canada, she will bet more bang for your bucks because the U.S. dollar is worth so much more here. Usually around $1.40 Canadian, give or take a few cents. I guess for personal cheques you will almost need to know what kind of banking arrangements she has made, whether she is keeping a U.S. bank account that she has access to depositing from within Canada or not.
That weird combination of numbers and letters on the bottom of her address, is the Postal Code for her address in Canada, haha.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 8:38pm
post #16 of 33

Thanks Squirrelly~ That info is important for anyone sending something! Glad you explained it to me & CC!!

Hey CC Friends~

I've talked to a lot of you in the past 9 days & I know I've given my address out to a few of you fine folks that have asked. This might sound weird but I got a pkg in the mail today & in it was a comforter & 2 pillow shams. There was no note inside the pkg so I don't know who might have sent it!!! It did have a forwarding address w/ the last name of the person but I don't want to give that info out. SO if the person that reads this sent this pkg to me please let me know SO I can thank you personally!!! thumbs_up.gif I think it came from Missouri. Isn't Missouri abbreviated MO? I've gotten a lot of emails & PM's this week & I've been trying to keep everything straight but it's been hard icon_eek.gif ~

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

~Tina~

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 3:21am
post #17 of 33

Squirrelly, I was wondering how risky it would be to send well-disguised cash to Melissa, marked "return receipt" or insured it? This would cut postage and guarantee that she got full value from the money. Janice

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 3:35am
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Squirrelly, I was wondering how risky it would be to send well-disguised cash to Melissa, marked "return receipt" or insured it? This would cut postage and guarantee that she got full value from the money. Janice

I think it is actually illegal to send money in the mail here. There is really so much risk due to x-ray equipment being able to show it up and all and you cannot insure cash. I just wouldn't want to take any chances on it.
Since cheques don't stale date for 6 months, she likely will be back in the U.S. by then, maybe you are better off sending her a regular cheque?
It is really too bad that gift certificates cannot be exchangeable in any country, but I know they are not.
Makes it a bit tougher, doesn't it?
Hugs Squirrelly

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 3:48am
post #19 of 33

Thanks for the info, Squirrelly, it was just a thought! Janice

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 3:57am
post #20 of 33

I know, I remember the good old days when my mother would send the girls a $10 bill in the mail and it would actually arrive here!
Hugs Squirrelly

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 3:59am
post #21 of 33

Squirrelly Cakes, you are always such a wealth of good information! Thanks for all of your tips and pointers. icon_smile.gif

TC- I'm anxious to hear if Melissa was able to salvage any other cake stuff &/or books. What a blessing that they were able to keep their clothing safe!!

To those of you who wanted to help Melissa and CC at the same time, every time you buy a cake related book through Amazon.com when you click on the ad through this site, CC gets a small commission on the sale I believe. Just thought I'd point that out.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 4:08am
post #22 of 33

Good idea to mention those things about things being shipped into Canada Squirrelly.. I have ordered a few things on ebay and the duty, exchange and taxes sure brought the ticket price up .
A money order would be ok I think.. I have sent money orders to the US so I guess anyone from the US could send her one and she would be able to cash it at any bank in Canada.
Liz

tcturtleshell Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 4:15am
post #23 of 33

Just got news from Melissa today!!! I'm so happy to see her PM's or emails!!!

She was able to save her Kitchen Aid. She tried using it today but it wasn't working good. She turned it off & opened it up. It still had a little water in it. So she's going to dry it out some more. I hope it will be ok!

She was able to find her Wilton caddy floating around in the water. It only had 1/2 of her tips in it. She has not found anything else. She lost all her tips, bags & other stuff. I'm not sure about pans or books. I doubt the books were saved. I think her house had about 4 ft or more of water in it.

She has 3 children:
Austin 4
Jonathan 3
Ava 18 months

I'm sure if anyone would like to send them anything it would be so appreciated!! My 15 yr old daughter Mandy is sending them her beanie babies. She even has the ones that the boys will like. Melissa is happy about that!

Melissa has a great attitude! I'm sure it's hard to have a bad one with 3 kids to tend to. She can't be blue in front of them. I really think Melissa is a very special person!! Humble to the core!!

If you can't send her any goodies send her a card. She would be as happy to get a card as she would be with something to do with decorating! God is blessing her & her family!! Look at all the nice things people on CC are doing!!!! WOW!!!!

THANKS!!!!!
I'll keep ya'll updated~ If you want her addy PM me.
Your Friend, ~TC~

2cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2cakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 4:15am
post #24 of 33

Hi tc and SquirrellyCakes, thanks for the information about Melissa and her safety during the storm. tc, I would like to help out, can you send me Melissa and your address and anyone else's address with their permission, whom you think might have became affected by hurricane Katrina that might be in need of some help. I was just thinking about Melissa and was going to post to see if anyone has heard from her. CC is such a wonderful and supported site to be at. We all feel the pain of what happened in various locations during hurricane Katrina and it is my sincere desire to help out. Thanks SquirrellyCakes for all the information about sending packages to Canada as well as monetary gifts. icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 4:28am
post #25 of 33

2Cakes, I just PM you the addy~

So we can send a money order & it will be worth the same amount??? Would Canada have a charge on the money order for Melissa to pay? Get us straight Squirrelly & Liz

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 4:32am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonhair

Good idea to mention those things about things being shipped into Canada Squirrelly.. I have ordered a few things on ebay and the duty, exchange and taxes sure brought the ticket price up .
A money order would be ok I think.. I have sent money orders to the US so I guess anyone from the US could send her one and she would be able to cash it at any bank in Canada.
Liz

Yes in the U.S. they can send Postal Money Orders, but I know from E-bay experience that there is one type of Postal Money Order that can only be cashed in the U.S., so you need to make sure it is cashable in Canada.
I am thinking Turtle Lady that perhaps Kitchen Aid would take pity on these poor folks and offer some kind of servicing to their product at a greatly reduced if not, free price? I think it would be a wise and safe move to ask about it, perhaps you could pass that on to Melissa?
All kids and most adults, love Beanie Babies, what a cute thing to do! You folks are all so wonderful!
I can tell you the things that are difficult to buy here in Canada, regarding cake decorating. Any kind of fondant mat, most of us have to order from the U.S. The Americolor food colourings you all love so much, can't get them here at all. Any of the favourite books, we have to wait forever to get them, usually special ordering them from the U.S. unless you live in a big area like Toronto. Where Melissa will be living, she won't have much access to cake decorating stuff other than what her local Michael's store carries and that won't be much. If she is into making fondant flowers, the cutters aren't easy to come by here. Basically anything non-Wilton as that will be all that Michael's carries.
Hugs Squirrelly

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 5:12am
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

To those of you who wanted to help Melissa and CC at the same time, every time you buy a cake related book through Amazon.com when you click on the ad through this site, CC gets a small commission on the sale I believe. Just thought I'd point that out.

Actually we don't offer Amazon book ads anymore since we added books to the cake central store. However we do contribute 10% of the sale to the Red Cross Relief Fund.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 6:11am
post #28 of 33

Hi tc,

Thanks so much for keeping us informed about Melissa and her family. Please tell her that my prayers go out to her and her family as well as yours.

Maybe we could give a collection so that she can replace her KA.

Could you please pm me her address, I have some decorating books and things that I would like to send her.

Thanks so much.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 8:42pm
post #29 of 33

Thanks for all your help TC.

Squirrelly - are there any big stores in the area that we could perhaps buy a gift card online and send it to Melissa and her family? If you could give us some names, we could research and see what we can come up with?
Barbara

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Sep 2005 , 9:08pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBB

Thanks for all your help TC.

Squirrelly - are there any big stores in the area that we could perhaps buy a gift card online and send it to Melissa and her family? If you could give us some names, we could research and see what we can come up with?
Barbara

Hi Barbara,
Do you mean big stores that are not cake decorating related?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%