Lemon Curd Filling Question

Decorating By molly_36 Updated 25 Nov 2011 , 9:37am by scp1127

molly_36 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 1:17am
post #1 of 8

I'm going to be using lemon curd for the first time to fill a cake. Do I need to put down a thin layer of buttercream and THEN the lemon curd? I don't know if it will absorb into the cake or not?
Can someone please answer this for me?
TIA

7 replies
dlcamp Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 8

When I use lemon curd as a filling, I just put it directly on the cake. It doesn't seem like it soaks into the cake the way jam or preserves does.

icer101 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:27am
post #3 of 8

I,ve have used it both way. Both ways work good for me. hth

molly_36 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 8

Thank you! Appreciate your help!

Sassy74 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 3:22am
post #5 of 8

I've used lemon curd many times, and I've always put a layer of buttercream or white choc ganache, and spread a thin layer of the curd over that. Just my opinion, but curds can be quite tart, and the sweetness of the BC helps to tame that a little. Again, just my personal taste. Even though it's not a thick layer, the lemon curd really stands out. Love love love using lemon curd in my filling.

molly_36 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 3:46am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

I've used lemon curd many times, and I've always put a layer of buttercream or white choc ganache, and spread a thin layer of the curd over that. Just my opinion, but curds can be quite tart, and the sweetness of the BC helps to tame that a little. Again, just my personal taste. Even though it's not a thick layer, the lemon curd really stands out. Love love love using lemon curd in my filling.

The tartness she wants. My worry is that it will seep into the cake too much. It's pretty thick but I'm going to fill then let them sit for 24 hrs to settle before covering with fondant.
Do I need the thin layer of BC to keep it from seeping into the WASC?

FromScratchSF Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 3:51am
post #7 of 8

I never put a layer of buttrcream under curd. It does not seep into the cake.

scp1127 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 9:37am
post #8 of 8

I use the curd instead of buttercream on the layer. I like that it cuts the sweetness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%