Fondant Igloo's? Please Help

Decorating By LivM Updated 27 Nov 2011 , 7:41pm by michelle h.

LivM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LivM Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:19am
post #1 of 10

Hi

I'm making a penguin shaped cake and want to make a small igloo out of fondant to put on the cake board. How would you go about doing this? Would you shape and piece of fondant into a mound and then draws lines on with a toothpick or would you do it a different way?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
VeronicaLuis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeronicaLuis Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:47am
post #2 of 10

yep, probably use a knife, something sharper any way than a toothpick to score deep lines. Then the door way striking out

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 10

I used my wheel tool to make my lines.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivM

Hi

I'm making a penguin shaped cake and want to make a small igloo out of fondant to put on the cake board. How would you go about doing this? Would you shape and piece of fondant into a mound and then draws lines on with a toothpick or would you do it a different way?

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

I did mine out of a half ball cake and put a dome of fondant on top then covered whole thing.. just as found it easier than a big lump of fondant but depends how big you want it. I then roughly measured up the side of the igloo and did lines going round first evenly spaced using my wheel tool then used same again to mark the lines going down icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 10

+1 to what allaboutcakeuk said! It might be easier, and look better, to cover a small dome-shaped piece of cake with white fondant rather than trying to get a lump of fondant into a nice half ball. Think It would be easier to cut out a doorway, or windows etc... Sounds like a fun cake!

LivM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LivM Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks everybody for the information!! Not sure which method I'll use yet but I will post a picture when it finished!! icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 10

if its covered with fondant you can use various sizes of round cookie cutters to imprint the horizontal lines in the igloo. just bring the handle side down of the cookie cutter over the fondant and imprint it. youmay have to mark the one closest to the bottom by eyeballing it.

you could also make an igloo out of sugar, like a panoramic egg, then hollow it out and put a battery tea light inside so it would glow.

acastano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acastano Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 6:32pm
post #8 of 10

I used 1/2 of a ball cake pan. I then covered in fondant and made the lines with a sculpting tool. I let it all dry for about a week. I made the entrance separately by placing a rectangular piece of fondant over a round water bottle lid. When everything was dry, I placed the pieces together and black fondant in the entrance. Then, I painted on some white glitter.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2194215/2194219

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 10

I made mine by stacking a couple of torted 6" cakes, then carving it into a dome...very easy to do. Then I used a VERY generous coating of thick buttercream, then fondant. The thick buttercream really allowed me to put some deep indentations with a plastic stick tool, to really get a good 3D ice block effect. The fondant can't be stiff or dry. It has to be supple and moist or it will dry out and crack too soon while you are working the indentations in. The entrance was made by assembling actual fondant blocks.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1544479

michelle h. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelle h. Posted 27 Nov 2011 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 10

You could also build an igloo out of sugar cubes glued together with royal icing icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%