Dessert Tables... How Many Of You Do Them?

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 23 Nov 2011 , 10:21pm by FromScratchSF

FromScratchSF Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 5:42am
post #1 of 4

I have gotten several requests recently about dessert tables - or more specifically, making additional items for a dessert table, not actually setting it up. It's the new trend and I love Amy Atlas, I do think it would be cool to design tables like she does so I'm open to possibly expanding my services, but though I'd do some research here - who here does dessert tables? Do you only make the baked goods or do you decorate the whole thing? And the hardest question, how do you determine serving amounts if you offer cake, cookies, candy, cake pops, etc all at once?

3 replies
scp1127 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 6:56am
post #2 of 4

I just started it and I already have four orders. I do the whole thing. From punch to everything on my menu. My license is unrestricted so I have even added savory hors d'oeurves.

I completely decorate the table, offer purchased candy with apothecary jars and ladles, cookies, 6 inch cakes in as many flavors as they want, homemade candy including gourmet chocolate truffles, mini cheesecakes, cheesecake truffles, anything they can possibly think of.

All of the serving pieces (about 60 so far) are for rent. I have white, silver and silver metals, and clear. I have teamed up with an art glass store where colored serving platters, dishes, and stands can be purchased. This glass is collectible. It's Fenton art glass. They can purchase it or I will purchase it and rent it back for 50%. It's actually a good deal for both sides. For Christmas, I already owned about 50 matching serving pieces and I'm offering them for rent. I insist on delivery and pickup. This way, I pack up my pieces and I don't need a deposit. So far, after they purchase and rent everything from me, I am including the setup.

I have developed a great house punch that is good with ginger ale, rum, or champagne. They can supply the alcohol. I have a punch bowl to rent.

My daughters will attend the table. They charge $25.00 per hour, but they love doing it so both will show up even when only one is contracted. They dress in black pants and dressy white shirts.

I have secured three companies for the table cards to identify the different desserts. I can make table runners to coordinate with the colors or themes.

In January, I am teaming up with a well-known cake artist with a beautiful retail store. I will refer my wedding cakes and celebration cakes that are beyond my abilities, and she will refer the dessert bars.

As for how to plan the amounts, I suggest one cake slice per person. I slice the 6 inch cakes in 12 wedges. For mini cheesecakes, I suggest 1 1/2 per person, but they have to buy what the recipe makes... no exact numbers. I take my cookie recipes and just make smaller cookies, about 1 1/2 per person. I guess I plan it to be about 1 piece of cake and 5 others. The candy is a fill-in. I think on the amounts, since I have everything a la carte on my menu already, the client and I just play it by ear. The numbers just come together while we are planning. So far, in every case, they have ordered up to their limit.

I determine if the budget will feed the guests on the phone. Then we meet. I offer Plan A, B, and C. Each includes the one before with additions. The first one is the original budget. So far, I have gotten plan C plus more, the last one doubling her original budget.

scp1127 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 7:57am
post #3 of 4

I forgot to tell you that I looked at every page on your new website. I love it! Best wishes in your new venture. But with your talent, it's inevitable. Great choices on the premium cupcakes. Don't be surprised if I develop a few.

FromScratchSF Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I love my new website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%