When To Cover Crusting Buttercream With Fondant

Decorating By Jknoxcake2011 Updated 25 Nov 2011 , 7:32am by Jknoxcake2011

Jknoxcake2011 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:14am
post #1 of 7

I have been really disappointed with several of my fondant covered cakes because they seem sloppier than i would like them.
I feel like I get the buttercream underneath nice and even, refridgerate it to firm up the bc and let it crust. I viva paper towel it with my smoother. I use the mat to roll out my fondant then and place it on the cake. Gah! My nice sharp lines are now all rounded and occasionally I see bulges on the sides where the icing underneath is pooching out. icon_sad.gif
Is my fondant too heavy? Do I need to roll it thinner? do I need to wait hours for a more firm crust before covering? Could it be possible I have too much icing on cake before fondant?
I literally drool over the square fondant covered cakes I see on here with perfect lines.
I have figured out that I need a stiffer icing consistency for my dam in between layers to help with the pooching, possibly more time for it to settle.
Help! Longing for sharp professional lines on my cakes....

6 replies
Ballymena Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:55am
post #2 of 7

First of all I like to use a stiff icing for the dam and make sure the filling isn't higher than the dam. I think that you may be putting too much BC on your cake. It just needs a nice skim coat for the fondant to adhere and I never let it crust before I put the fondant on. If it has crusted I brush it with a bit of water to make it sticky again.
Hope this helps.

ddaigle Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 7

I completely ice my cakes, chill till super cold and hard, then cover in fondant. I do not have pooches. Not sure why you are. Are you just crumb coating? I always completely ice, especially since no one here likes fondant, so when they pull it off, they will still have some buttercream.

Jknoxcake2011 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 3:52am
post #4 of 7

I am crumb coating, chilling, and then adding a second layer & removing the (what I think) is excess.
Perhaps a firm chill is what I need.
I seem to have more trouble with it when torting to 4+ layers

Thanks for all of your input icon_smile.gif every little tidbit helps

sandyvrc Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 7

my guess is your fondant is not stiff enough and dont put too much. personally i cover with fondant when the bc is the temperature of the room it will stay at, so it doesnt melt or anything. just do a "crumb coat" thick enough to get the cake white, smooth it, and put the fondant. roll it thin but if its gona break roll it again a teeny tiny bit thicker

leah_s Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 5:15am
post #6 of 7

What I always liked about the look of fondant is the rounded edges. I must be weird.

Jknoxcake2011 Posted 25 Nov 2011 , 7:32am
post #7 of 7

Omg! I had been thinking that my buttercream had been just so-so, so I finally got high ratio shortening to use instead... WOW!!!!!!!
This buttercream looked great, gave me the best finish! And I know, without a doubt that if i used fondant over the cake it would have looked great ( but I didn't, the finish was to pretty to hide). Move over, Crisco!

Do any of you find that this makes a huge difference too? I know HRS is expensive, any substitutions that you can recommend?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%