Advice Needed

Baking By lin5041 Updated 23 Nov 2011 , 8:30pm by AnnieCahill

lin5041 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lin5041 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All

I am very very new to cupcake baking,

I am after advice on how to decorate them

With the festive season fast approaching i would like to to put some edible decorations on top, cut out xmas trees, stockings, bells etc

To give to family and friends as gifts

I do not know what would be best to use for this purpose icon_redface.gif

Thanking you in advance for the help and support

Linda X

6 replies
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 7

In the past, I have used mini cookie cutters to cutout shapes for the top of cupcakes. I got mine from either TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Home Goods years ago. I think either Michael's or AC Moore would carry them too.

Use fondant or gumpaste for with the cutters. Both need drying time but would work well. You can add decorations once they dry with either edible markers, royal icing, coating chocolate, candies, etc.

Happy Baking!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 7

I would suggest fondant over gumpaste as gumpaste is not really pleasant to eat it's more for decoration only.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 4:46am
post #4 of 7

I agree-use fondant. It's edible. Gum paste is too but in very small quantities. It's more for decorating. You can use mini cookie cutters or plunger cutters. You can look on Amazon, Ebay, or google "plunger cutters". Joanns and Michaels sells ready-made fondant. Some of it is colored as well. Otherwise I use Wilton's fondant recipe (marshmallows, powdered sugar, water). It tastes pretty good too.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 7

In the past, I've piped Christmas decorations directly on the cupcakes...wreaths, snow men, tree, candy cane...I'm sure there are others. I believe there are pictures in my pictures here on CC. If not, there are pics on my website (in my signature).

~Chelle

lin5041 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lin5041 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 7

thank you all for your advice, you are all super x icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

My vote is for marzipan. It tastes way better than fondant, and the texture is similar. You just have to be careful for those who may have nut allergies. Also marzipan is off-white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%