Using Luster Dust

Decorating By prancy Updated 30 Nov 2011 , 2:05am by AliBakes6167

prancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prancy Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I am trying to paint silver luster dust on fondant (on a car cake) for the details that I want to make silver. I'm not sure of the consistency I should use. I have a mix of vodka and silver luster dust. Everytime I paint on the white gumpaste, I can still see through it. I want it to be opaque silver. Should I make the vodka/luster dust mixture very thick?

Any help or advise using luster dust would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

You need actual highlighter powder for that. That is basically molten metal when you mix it, and does not show anything thru it when you're done. You can use luster dust, but it's not the same. Just keep painting it on and letting it dry between coats and it will eventually be somewhat silver looking.

Nyasalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyasalicious Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 7

i have used luster dust on small parts for cakes. Yes the mixture has to be thick. I usually add just a few drops of what ever liquid you are using. But as maria said you need highlighter powder or you can buy duff silver spray at michaels.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 7

The only way I have had success with this is starting with a base color fondant or gumpaste...ie start with a gray fondant and then put the silver lustre dust on top. hth

Nyasalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyasalicious Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 7

Prancy as mimi says i too have used silver on the gray fondant or Gumpaste.

VMesser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VMesser Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 7:38am
post #6 of 7

I have a question on the same topic. I hope it is ok to ask it here. I have some buttercream roses I did last night and I would like to add a little sparkle too them. How would you add Luster dust to them?Vodka? I have never used the dust before.
Thank You for any Help

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

I've done this - starting out with gray fondant/gumpaste & then applied the lustre dust after it dried out. I mixed the lustre dust with a small amount of vodka - works like a charm, apply with a small paintbrush icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%