What, In Your Opinion, Makes The Perfect Brownie?

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 24 Nov 2011 , 4:14am by CakesByTheSugarCains

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 15

I just made brownies for the first time, and i dont know if i did well or not because i never really ate many brownies growing up. Im much more accustomed to cupcakes.

So what do you prefer? Cakey brownies? Chewy brownies?

14 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 15

Chewy all the way with a very firm edge.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 15

ITA with QT. Brownies must be chewy and super fudgey. And the edge pieces are my absolute favorite part. We had a brownie thread a loooong time ago and several bakers admitted to cutting off the edge pieces icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif Why?!? It's the best part, IMO. They make pans now that make edge pieces around every brownie so I know I'm not in the minority lol.

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 15

Ina Garten ( The Barefoot Contessa) has a recipe for "Outragious Brownies". Perfect in every way and completely foolproof. I decrease the instant coffee to one tablespoon. I get rave review every time I bake them.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 12:48am
post #5 of 15

I like the inside not the edges, I think because the edges seem to bake faster making them drier and I prefer the fudgy inside pieces.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 7:31am
post #6 of 15

Chewy with a premium chocolate. My favorite has homemade caramel running through it.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 15

I just finished making my favorite chocolate mint brownies. Fudgy brownie with a layer of mint buttercream topped with a chocolate coating. Yumm!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 15

Chewy but not too much like a real wet consistency. I too love the corner and outside edges, especially if you put some icing on them, mmmmmm brownies ! I really don't think there is a bad brownie, at least I have never had one.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 15

chewy almost crunchy edges, fudgey soft middle !!!! oh dear god now i need brownies!! lol!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 15

anyone have an awesome homemade recipe regardless if chewy or crunchy? I need one so badly as I cannot make homemade and end up using boxed, in which, I'd like to part from. Thank you!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 15

Sixty seconds in the microwave, a scoop of ice cream and chocolate sauce.

I know that wasn't what the OP meant, but I couldn't resist. lol

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 15

The joy of baking - online has a great brownie recipe. I prefer it with 60% or more chocolate - Lindt is nice.

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 23 Nov 2011 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 15

I made a red velvet cheesecake brownie the other day when i posted it. definitely has the rv taste. not bitter from the color and not tooo chocolaty. but i wonder if perhaps the cheesecake part on top interfered with the brownie portion, because even though baked it until a few parts of the cream cheese cracked, when i took it out of the oven after it all cooled the brownie was much more than moist. parts of it were nicely baked. not crunchy, but slightly fluffy. however other parts of it were so wt that if i poked it with my finger i would have parts of it stick to my finger. :/ it seemed like with that recipe i cant have both parts of the dessert come out well.

heres the recipe, if anyone cares to try it or is interested.

1/2 cup butter
2-oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp red food coloring
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
In a small, heatproof bowl, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir with a fork until very smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Add in the chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Batter should be red. If a brighter red is desired, add an additional 1/2 tsp food coloring. Add flour and salt into the bowl and stir until everything is just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
Prepare cheesecake mixture. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Drop in dollops onto prepared brownie batter. Gently swirl two batters with a butter knife.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until brownies and cheesecake are set. A knife inserted into the cheesecake mixture should come out clean and the edges will be lightly browned.
Cool in the pan completely before slicing and serving, either at room temperature or chilled.
Brownies can be refrigerated, covered, for several days.
Makes 16 large brownies or 24 smaller brownies

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 2:40am
post #14 of 15

Jenscreativity, I really enjoy the book, Fat Witch Brownies. Some of the recipes need some tweaking, but the book is full of ideas. That is where I got my caramel brownie recipe.

CakesByTheSugarCains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 24 Nov 2011 , 4:14am
post #15 of 15

LOL... my husband always eats around the outside of the pan of brownies... I love to eat the gooey insides. We make a perfect pair! I also like a cake brownie though... but then again... I like almost ALL desserts! I glanced through the brownie recipes on Cake Central... that might be a great place to start looking for a great recipe!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%